2045 Portland Lumberjacks Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
StormZ_23
Ex-GM

2045 Portland Lumberjacks Preview

Post by StormZ_23 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:06 pm

I think I am going to have to make this a preview I make every season. My rivals on the other side of the invisible line, the Portland Lumberjacks, finished the 2044 season with their best record in team history. While 68-94 is not necessarily a record to rave about, it shows that the Lumberjacks are improving. Well, that was before they made one of the biggest trades of the off-season and traded Robert Menzies to the Charlotte Cougars among others. So, who knows where the Lumberjacks will end up this season? Well, that's what I'm looking to answer.

The Lumberjacks have a very interesting situation at catcher. While Pedro Gomez hasn't quite reached his full potential that scouts raved about a few years ago, he is still a valuable asset. I would not be surprised if the Lumberjacks were looking for a trade partner. For now, he is an above average catcher that will certainly start. David Katzenbogen is the perfect backup catcher. He is 33 years old, but he is still the best defensive catcher in the BBA. I really like this signing for Portland. I'm curious what happens with Aaron Stone. He cannot play catcher anymore, so he may be a bench bat. Nice popularity boost though. 1B Andrew Gallagher was one of the big names the Lumberjacks got back in the Menzies trade. While I would consider him a DH, I'm curious if the team tries to improve his defense at first. He's a great young bat though. I'm sure power-hitting Manuel Martinez will be playing the first base spot this year. Although, free agent signing Albert Goana may see some time too. Arturo Barron signed a 1 year prove-it deal in the off-season. He will likely be the starting second baseman, but don't expect much on the offensive side. Teruo Jouda is a much better defender and could see some reps too. He can play anywhere on the field. Same story with Hector Vazquez, but he will likely be the starting shortstop. Lastly, I will place veteran Juan Mendoza at third base. He hasn't done very well with the Lumberjacks, but a bounce back season is not out of the equation. I've seen crazier things happen.

Let's move on to the outfield. There are a few options for the left field spot, but Werner McConnell Jr. might take the spot. Although, I'd rather take Anibal Garcia. It's really a case of placing more value on offense or defense. The center field spot will be a battle between Bing-zhang Kim and Miguel Cortez. Whoever loses the spot will be a 4th outfielder. Finally, I think Bobby Horne will be the starting right fielder. I'm very curious to see if he can improve to what he did in 2044 in Charlotte.

Now, let's look at the starting rotation. There is nice mix of veterans and young guys in this rotation. I think Hector Amaral will be the #1 guy in this rotation. While he may not be a "real" #1 guy anymore, he can still produce a 2-3 WAR season. Young starter Terrance Kelly is entering into his 3rd season in the BBA. Lumberjacks are looking for a breakout season from Kelly and this could be the year. Although, they shouldn't place huge expectations on him. Ray Verhoeve spent his 2044 season as a reliever, but I see him being placed back in the rotation, likely in the #2 or #3 spot.Roberto Valdez is very similar to Verhoeve as he also spent his 2044 season as a reliever. Expect him in the #4 spot in the rotation. Finally, veteran starter Pedro Rocha still has a place in this rotation. He has never replicated his 2041 season, but he brings fans to the ballpark because there is always the chance he can turn back the block for 6 or 7 innings.

Finally, we have the bullpen. This is actually not a terrible bullpen. While I don't think he deserves a spot, Lee McHone could find himself in a long relief role. Flynn Vanegas and Alonso Blanco are similar right handers. Felipe Vega and Flynn Bernard are similar left handers. That's the extent of my analysis on those players. Juan Alvarez and Antonio Garcia are guys that could be given a shot in the rotation, but they could occupy long reliever or middle reliever spots. Same story with Vicente Venalde, but I wouldn't put him in my rotation. The main guys are Facial Engeitado, Nick Snyder, and Luis Marquez. These are all decent middle reliever type players, but someone here is going to have step up and be the closer or stopper.

I don't think this team is as strong as last year, but I'm not sure if they will finish in last place. As Valencia just traded Aaron Haney, that's a lot less wins for a division rival. The Lumberjacks have an interesting mix of young prospects and veterans. Whether they avoid the last place spot will ultimately depend whether someone like Gallagher hits a breakout season. Otherwise, they will be fighting for the last place spot. My prediction is 67-95 and 7th place.
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)

2041 Frick League GM of the Year
2041 FL Pacific Champions

sjshaw
Ex-GM

Re: 2045 Portland Lumberjacks Preview

Post by sjshaw » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:20 pm

Speaking from experience, if Hector Amaral is your #1, your rotation is a #2.

Nice preview!
GM, Louisville Sluggers, end of 2038 - current

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”