2044 Boise Spuds Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
StormZ_23
Ex-GM

2044 Boise Spuds Preview

Post by StormZ_23 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:22 pm

Alright, I haven't looked at a team from the Frontier Division yet and I need to build up my PPT count. So, let's take a look at the Boise Spuds. The home of perennial Silk contender Dennis French is entering their 10th season as a franchise. They will be looking to rebound from their disappointing 2043 campaign. Can they compete in the JL playoff race? Let's find out.

I'm sensing a pattern with teams and their catchers. It is really difficult to find a catcher who can hit and provide quality defense. I can't say much about the catching situation here. As for the infield, there are a lot of solid pieces. Shortstop Motonobu Yamashita had a bit of down year in 2043, but I would expect him to come back with a vengeance this season. The Spuds have a few options to put at second base. Veteran Lloyd Braun, top prospect Jose Rodriguez, and defensive wizard Joey O'Brien will likely all see time at second base this season. Free agent acquisition Mark Simpson will likely be the primary first baseman this season. Although, Pepe Madrid and Jose Hernandez will look to take that spot.

The outfield is a much different story. We got some superstars over here. Of course we already know about French. We also have Felix Roman, who honestly has the potential to be the best player in the league. Left fielder Ricardo Ruiz is the third piece to this outfield puzzle. He hasn't repeated his success from 2041, but if he can repeat that type of success, this may be the best outfield in the BBA. I like Ismael Alfonso too. I'd put him in DH platoon against LHP.

The X factor of this team will be the starting rotation. This can be the case for many teams, but I really mean it with Boise. The team traded for Miguel Ramos. He will be the #1 of this rotation. I believe this will end up working really well for Boise. Although, the problem is who's behind Ramos. Robin Cooper is likely the team's #2 starter. 2043 was his first season with an ERA+ over 100. Although, he still has broken the 100 K mark, despite pitching 2+ seasons. He definitely needs to work on his control. Dominic Lawrence will likely be the team's #5 pitcher since he's actually been in the big leagues for a few seasons. Also, the Spuds will have to choose between these 3 young pitchers to fill out the rest of their rotation: Gerardo Lopez, Kent Montoya, and Eugenio Asseldonk. They each have their own set of flaws, so it will be interesting to see who the team chooses. Or maybe their is a 4 man rotation in the works.

Now, let's take a quick look at the bullpen. There are a few decent pieces such as Diego Lindt, Juan Guerrero, and Frank Metcalf. Other than these guys, this bullpen severely needs some more pieces. Many of these guys are right handed too, so that may be a bit of problem.

I don't know what to make of this team. I like the Miguel Ramos acquisition, but I feel the rest of the pitching staff needs a lot of work. Would Joe be willing to trade an outfielder for pitching? Maybe a trade is already in the works. Overall, I think this team competes for a wild card, but if an offensive contributor gets injured, this team could easily finish under .500. I predict 82-80.
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)

2041 Frick League GM of the Year
2041 FL Pacific Champions

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 2044 Boise Spuds Preview

Post by jleddy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Excellent work, my friend.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: 2044 Boise Spuds Preview

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:10 pm

A little bro-mance in the Pacific Northwest going on?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”