2043 San Antonio Outlaws Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
StormZ_23
Ex-GM

2043 San Antonio Outlaws Preview

Post by StormZ_23 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:17 pm

2042 Review:
The Outlaws finished with a 84-78 record, a complete 180 from their 58-104 record in 2041. However, they missed out on the playoffs. As they have started the season on top of the Frontier with a 4-2 record, what is the Outlaws' outlook for 2043?

2043 "Projected" 27 Man Roster
Catchers:
Octavio Moreno
Jesus Garcia

Moreno is one of the most promising catchers in the BBA. Last year was his breakout season, finishing with 4.0 WAR. He was rewarded for his performance as the Outlaws bought out Moreno's 3 years of arbitration with a 3 year contract worth $29 million. He is only 22 years old, has a great swing, has home run power, and is above average behind the plate. He has all the potential in the world. Garcia is your typical backup catcher. He is there for his presence behind the plate if necessary. However, it's reported that he has taken a leadership role with the team despite being only 23. Seeing such a young player take initiative for the team is always exciting to see. He definitely has a future in coaching. However, don't expect much noise from him this season unless Moreno gets hurt, which isn't out of the question since this is San Antonio.

Infielders:
1B Larry Stinson
1B Tony Hernandez
2B Tony Gustafsen
SS Bob Allen
SS Chip Puckett
3B Alfredo Rosas
3B Lucio Cuellar

This is a large group of infielders. Personally, I would have no more than 6 infielders on my roster so I'm curious what the team's reasoning is behind this. Stinson is your standard 2038 draft stud. Fantastic bat, great defense at first base, and only 21 years old. In his rookie season, he not only won the JL newcomer of the year award, but he also won the JL golden bat award at 1B. 6.8 WAR and a 163 OPS+ will accomplish that. He's a Silk contender for sure. Hernandez's main role will be as DH against RHP and as the backup to Stinson. Hernandez would be a starter on a mediocre team so the Outlaws have a bargain here. Gustafsen is the weak link of this lineup offensively, however he is nothing short of a great defender where ever you want to put him. Allen is similar to Gustafsen, but he will be used as the utility man this season. Chip Puckett had a solid first season with the Outlaws after being traded before the 2042 season. However, I'm sure the Outlaws will be looking for more out of his bat if they want to make the playoffs. Alfredo Rosas is another 2038 draft stud. In his limited time with the major league team last season, Rosas showed he can hang with the big leaguers. Look for him to make an impact this season. Cuellar is an interesting player. He can hit the ball anywhere and he can play anywhere. However, he is not quite at the elite level. However, you have to make room for a guy like him.

Outfielders:
LF Tony Vega
LF Wayne Morris
LF Valentin Fitas
CF Rodger Gonzalez
CF Mennac Shakes
RF Pedro Bustamante

This is a very interesting groups of outfielders. Many of them are very similar in terms of strengths. Vega is an outlier in this group because he isn't that great of a defender. However, he has a solid bat. He definitely has a place in one of the lineups. I believe Morris is still rookie eligible. In his limited playing time with San Antonio last year, he didn't particularly impress the fans. However, his swing is pretty and he is improving as a defender so it's not impossible to see him bounce back this season. Fitas is also listed as a left fielder, but he is the best rated defender of the bunch. He is a great hitter vs RHP, so look for him to be the starting LF in games against RHP. Gonzalez is your standard 4th outfielder who can play anywhere, is super speedy, and lacks bat skills. The same can be said about Mennac Shakes, but his bat is a little more refined compared to Gonzalez. Bustamante is the only true right fielder on the team. I'm not sure if he is still rookie eligible, but is a young player that the rest of the JL has to monitor.

Rotation:
Ricardo Rivera
Aki Kondo
Ruben Vazquez
Yriggs Carpenter
Luis Pasillas

This rotation makes me sad. I don't know how San Antonio built this rotation, but it's something to behold. Ricardo Rivera won the JL golden arm award last season, so look for him to continue his reign of terror. Kondo is very good pitcher, but it just seems like he underperforms. If this team wants to succeed, they need Kondo to step up. Vazquez is ridiculous. I don't think I have ever seen a 14 rated changeup. That alone will keep him in the big leagues. Look for him to be a newcomer of the year contender. However, I noticed that in his first start he only threw 1 inning. Is he an opener? Was it a pitch count mistake? I'm curious to hear that answer. Carpenter has gone through a lot over the past couple of years, however he is far from losing his job. In his first full season, Pasillas was a solid back end starter last year. Look for him to continue his upward trajectory, maybe even overtake Carpenter.

Bullpen:
Augate Balun
Luis PinaRamon Sanchez
Jose Olivas
Francisco Cardona
Jorge Luna
Nobuhito Kawakami

This is a very top heavy bullpen. Balun joined the team late last season and he performed relatively well. Balun is considered one of the top relievers in the league, so the Outlaws will really need him to perform this season. Pina has been a consistently solid reliever for the Outlaws for the past few seasons and I expect him to continue. Sanchez should be performing a lot better than he has. Maybe he needs a change of scenery. The rest of the bullpen is full of average to below average right handed relievers. If this team wants to make a playoff push, they need to find a left hander to contribute.

Prediction:
This is a very good team. There is a lot of star power along with some potential star power. However, I am not sure if they are quite ready for a playoff run. There needs to be some upgrades in the outfield and the bullpen. However, the team has less than $5 million to play with until they reach the salary cap. Unless they can find some creative solutions, I don't think this team will make the playoffs. However, if the team declines Aki Kondo's 2044 team option after this season, this young team will have a lot of money to play with. My prediction for this season is 81-81.
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)

2041 Frick League GM of the Year
2041 FL Pacific Champions

bigmike13
Ex-GM

Re: 2043 San Antonio Outlaws Preview

Post by bigmike13 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Thank You! Very good review. I have a larger number of position players than normal because I am paying much closer attention to platoon splits than I have in the past. Hernandez is in the last year of his contract and if he is not traded is the platoon partner with Cuellar. Allen stays because he is a Captain, and I find that does actually help with team moral, and he is the only other true SS and I am being defense conscience. I am always on the lookout for pen help.

If everyone players to their ability I feel good about reaching the playoffs.
Mike Calvaruso
San Antonio Outlaws 2030 -
Birmingham Bandits 2006-2029

bigmike13
Ex-GM

Post by bigmike13 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Forgot to add the pitch count was a screw up from me. I thought I had changed them from spring training but I must have missed it when we had to redownload the file. It has been remedied.
Mike Calvaruso
San Antonio Outlaws 2030 -
Birmingham Bandits 2006-2029

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:58 pm

I honestly don't get San Antonio, flat out. For the last four off-seasons, I've looked at them on paper and thought they were one of the more balanced teams in the league. I think they are strong again this season...what do I know?!?
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 pm

...and let the record show I made said comments prior to the Outlaws whooping my ass this sim. :)
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”