2042 Vancouver Mounties Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
bcslouck
BBA GM

2042 Vancouver Mounties Preview

Post by bcslouck » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:35 pm

After years of being one of the bottom tier teams in the BBA and amassing top draft picks, the Mounties busted on to the scene to a 97-65 record and Pacific League title, their first division title since 2028. When looking at the offseason summary, they didn't gain or lose value. The sum of parts they lost isn't as good as the acquisition of José Luna but that did take away some bullpen depth. After being swept in the Cartwright by Yellow Springs, one has to assume anything short of a Landis appearance will be a disappointment.

Infield
C Aaron Stone
1B Alejandro Ortíz
2B Carlos Martínez
3B Rashardo Menne III
SS Roberto Beltrán
DH Masaki Sato

It's a solid infield all around. Stone is still one of the best catchers in the league. He is getting to an age that you may see catchers start to decline but until we see that, pencil him in for 20+ HR's, 75+, RBI's, and a .850 OPS.

Ortíz is a stud. He should continue to give middle of the order production, especially with some of the protection he has, which we will get to later. Sato is the DH but can also man 1B. He has the potential to also be a middle of the order bat but hasn't lived up to that potential since his rookie campaign.

Menne III seems like he should be 32 but is still only 26. He had a down year last year but I'd expect him to bounce back. Even in a down year, he was still a solid leadoff hitter. That defense can go at any point however and if Sato doesn't get it together, could get replaced by Menne as the DH.

Beltran is a nice SS prospect. He should hit solid enough and play good defense. Nothing special about him but you need those guys to help a team. Martinez appears to be staying at 2B. I don't think he's as good a hitter as he did last year but he plays good defense. The up the middle defense on the dirt is good.

Outfield
LF Fernando Castillo
CF Ángel González
RF Jeffrey Smith

These guys are among the best group of outfielders in the league. They can all hit and none of them will kill you with their gloves, at least at this point. They all OPS'd over 1.000 last year, along with 30+ HR's. The team revolves around this group. If any of them go down, it's a big blow to the team. There isn't anyone who can step in where the production wouldn't fall off too much. They have enough offense to get through, but it's elite status would be tarnished a bit.

Rotation
Miguel Ayala
José Ramírez
Lando Klomp
Luis Miguel Durán
Gustavo Hernández

*In no particular order.

I don't hate the rotation but it's a spot that could need some help. Klomp is a guy who has always had some decent potential but have never put it together in a full season. His 3.2 WAR last year was actually a career high but his ERA of almost 6 won't cut it. Ayala is probably the best of the bunch, along with Hernandez. Both had fantastic rookie years. While both had ERA's under 4, the FIP's were 4.52 and 4.42 respectively. The rotation hinges on these 3 names I think. If Klomp finally puts together a good year and the other 2 put up 2041 numbers, they'll have a solid top 3. However, I don't have confidence in Klomp and could see the others going more toward their FIP's in the sophomore campaign. Ramírez kind of falls into this category too but he has a better track record of lowish ERA and higher FIP. I could see him to stay as a solid #4. Duran is my favorite to the #5 but there are a couple options here. He won't strike people out but should keep the ball in the park and not walk to many people.

Bullpen
José Luna
Raúl García

Adding Luna is a nice boost but this is still a weak group. I like García a lot. I think he could improve. I don't have any other names listed because I think it's a hodge podge or bleh. The Mounties still have a park that suppresses home runs big time so some of these cheap, low movement guys may succeed. Some even were solid last year. I just don't see that repeating. They need to go get some more well round relievers to go with Luna and García.

Bench
While nobody sticks out, it's a heavy defense bench. A lot of good defenders that could help them close out some games late by make plays the starters can't.

Prediction
It's a good team again. My preview started more positive and got a little negative toward the end. The infield is above average. Outfield is elite. Rotation is averagish without much ceiling but a high floor. And the bullpen is below average. The offense is good enough to mask the negatives as long as the outfield stays healthy.

The Frick is good. I do believe if one of those outfielders go down, they could lose a playoff spot. With no prospects really ready to help now, their are no immediate reinforcements without a trade or two. Things break wrong, this is still an over .500 team I think. 85 wins is the floor. I think they win at least 94 this year though and take the Pacific again but don't think they get past the Doubleday.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

StormZ_23
Ex-GM

Re: 2042 Vancouver Mounties Preview

Post by StormZ_23 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:31 pm

Pretty spot on, great preview!
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)