2040 Boise Spuds Team Preview!

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
niles08
BBA GM

2040 Boise Spuds Team Preview!

Post by niles08 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:58 pm

2039 Review

Boise was not spectacular in 2039 however they did finish with the clubs best record since they joined the BBA in 2035 as an expansion team finishing with a record of 77-85. Boise has had an upward swing each season finishing better than the prior since that 2035 season and finishing win one less victory than expected as the Pythagorean total was 78 wins. None would have allowed them to sneak into the playoffs, but progress is being made in Boise with a calvary of young spuds ready to jump into the vegetable oil.

Key additions (2039 stats): C Hank Brewer (118 OPS+, 4.3 WAR)

Key departures (2039 stats): LF Alfredo Salzar (129 OPS+, 2.8 WAR), SP Egbert Behner (97 ERA+, 2.5 WAR), SP Ricardo Ortiz (104 ERA+, 2.1 WAR), SP Maxence Mace(86 ERA+, 1.9 WAR)

Offense Preview

The Spud offense hit its stride last season averaging 4.9 runs per game on it’s way to an even 800 offensive runs last season. Anybody knows that this offense runs through non-other than star center fielder Dennis French who just completed an 8.1 WAR season in which he hit .352/.397/.596 hit 33 home runs and stole 49 bases on his way to a controversial finish for the Sawyer Silk award. Nobody to this day knows if he or Angel Zalapa won, but he certainly deserves it just as much.

After French, the club could have issues scoring this year but expect a rebound season from Tunosuke Terada who “struggled” last season to only his 24 home runs out of the ballfield and watched his WAR drop from 5.7 to 1.6.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Boise keeps Yamashita & Roman both up to start the season and in the active lineup batting 1-2 which could provide a good-sized boost to a lineup that needs it. Offensively after these two, there isn’t much more coming in the near future other than potentially catcher Ed Cooper who is ready to go now.

Projected Lineup

SS Motonobu Yamashita
RF Felix Roman
CF Dennis French
DH Felix Roman
1B Yunosuke Terada
C Hank Brewer
LF Ricardo Ruiz
3B Antonio Baca
2B Ramon Vela

Bench
C Ignacio Marrero
1B Carlos Munoz
IF/OF Guy Webb
3B Rob Thomas

Pitching Preview

Boise’s 4.87 ERA last season took a step back after having a 4.53 ERA in 2038. This despite the fact that the club added Egbert Behner in 2039. As of right now, I think it’s safe to say that there are more than a few rotation spots that could be upgraded in Boise. You’re going to have your typical starters in Pancho German and Celio Marin. After that, it’s a crapshoot really, thus why Boise currently may have 6 men starting in their rotation during spring training. I am assuming Robbie Van Mierlo is going to get a spot, along with Francisco Barrera as they were both signed this off-season. Robin Cooper is not ready so needs to remain in the minor leagues and anytime you’re asking Joe Clements to go out and throw a quality start your asking for too much(Just ask Omaha). Pepe Castillo may have a chance to crack to the rotation but Frank Metcalf is probably the guy I would go with here based on age and potential moving forward.

Jorge Maestas is probably going to contribute in 2041 so the club will have a at least one rotation spot taken care of after next season.

In the bullpen, Bill Pidduck looks like the guy who is going to close out games right now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that duty is handed over to 21-year-old Tom Warren by the middle of the season. Warren struggled last season but it was in limited action only pitching 19 innings. The bullpen likely needs some help if it wants to stay afloat in 2040.

Projected Rotation

SP Pancho German
SP Celio Martin
SP Robbie Van Mierlo
SP Francisco Barrera
SP Frank Metcalf

Bullpen

CL Tom Warren
SU Naomichi Harada
SU Bill Pidduck
LR Joe Clements
LR Francisco Ruiz
MR Pepe Castillo
MR Laurent Durant
MR Marcos Sanchez

Unanswered Question

Why does Dexter Sheehan still have a job?

The hitting coach for the Boise Spuds is notorious around BBA circles for being a poor hitting coach. Looking at his track record he has only ever been a part of 2 winning seasons in his career back when he was the hitting coach for San Antonio in 2031 and 2032. A team batting average in 2031 of .271 is the coach’s best work which quickly dropped down to .255 in 2032 and stuck in that range since. Sure Boise hasn’t had the firepower but I would not be shocked if he is sent his walking papers during the season or when the season comes to an end and his contract expires.

Bonus Question:

Does Boise roll the dice and keep up its prospects this season? Do they send them down for the first few weeks to gain an extra year of control? Do they leave them down?

I think it’s worth discussion over what Boise does with its prospects who are ready to contribute such as Yamashita & Roman. What would I do? I would keep them up and see how the season goes. Worst case? Send them down in September when you know you’re out of it and screw them out of service time at that point and time. For the beginning of the season, you should be all hands on deck.

BBA.tv Rating: 6.0

I think this depends on the answer to that last question. Boise is going to want to see its future stars along with its current star in Dennis French on the field together as the defense for the club is going to be excellent. Did we mention Brewer behind the plate defensively is a wiz? If they send those prospects down, look for reruns of Three’s Company and Andy Griffith to play across Idaho.

2040 Prediction

Boise is coming along but they aren’t here yet. They have a great foundation laid but are going to need some pitching help in both the rotation and bullpen if they hope to compete for a wildcard spot. I think this team has a shot to eclipse last year’s win total of 77 so I predict Boise will go 80-82 but miss out on the postseason.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 2040 Boise Spuds Team Preview!

Post by jleddy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Great stuff...I may spend every pick for the next five drafts on starting pitchers. :) All jabs were deserved and we appreciate you keeping it above the belt! Thanks, Justin!
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:57 pm

Love this preview. Boise is really good and the level of talent they have coming up is going to give them a big boost, but you're right on, they need some additional quality arms to become a consistent contender. Unfortunately, they have a pretty decent guy at the helm that will probably figure it out :)

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:03 pm

crobillard wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:57 pm
Love this preview. Boise is really good and the level of talent they have coming up is going to give them a big boost, but you're right on, they need some additional quality arms to become a consistent contender. Unfortunately, they have a pretty decent guy at the helm that will probably figure it out :)
You just keep buttering me up and maybe I will finally ship Frenchie to Edmonton for Vicente Ventura and a bag of hockey pucks...
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:08 pm

jleddy wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:03 pm
crobillard wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:57 pm
You just keep buttering me up and maybe I will finally ship Frenchie to Edmonton for Vicente Ventura and a bag of hockey pucks...
Oh come on, I'm not that unfair. I would send some maple syrup and poutine as well.

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Also, you can't have Ventura. He's my only good reliever :(

Until this year probably :\

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”