2036 Hawaii Tropics Team Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
Spiccoli
Ex-GM

2036 Hawaii Tropics Team Preview

Post by Spiccoli » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:54 pm

The 2030's have been rough for the Tropics, with only one winning season (2032 - 82 Wins) in 6 years. The low point was 2034, where Hawaii managed just 47 wins, a franchise low in 41 years. However, hope isn't lost and while 63 wins in 2035 might not seem anything special, it's a plus 16 win total from 2034. Fans from the Aloha State are holding out hope that it's the beginning of a trend.

While Hawaii may not quite be ready for success in 2036, there's definitely building blocks in place and the Tropics have a 2nd lowest Player Salary in the league at $49 Million. In order to have such a low team salary, that means the team is loaded with young talent.

TOP 4 PITCHING PROSPECTS

Charlie Iron-Knife
22 Year Old - Starting Pitcher - Drafted 2031 - 7th Over-All Pick in Round 1 (Havanna)
7/10 STUFF
6/7 MOV
4/7 CON
Drafted five years ago in 2031, it's taken awhile for the 22 year old to develop. In fact, it looks like he might another year or two to achieve his potential. However, the clock is up and the Team needed to put him on the 40 Man Roster. After Spring Training, Charlie may need to spend another year at AAA, however maybe it's time for him to put his Big Boy pants on and take his lumps at the BBA Level.

Lee Morgan
20 Year Old Starting Pitcher - International Free Agent Find (Havanna) 2032
6/9 Stuff
6/7 MOV
5/7 CON
Lee had some success at Single A last year and seems to be progressing well and actually is projected better than when he was found in the Virgin Islands by Talent Scout in 2032. Rated the 15th Over-All Prospect in 2035, look for Morgan to possibly make his BBA debut in 2037.

Stephen Taub
21 Year Old Starting Pitcher - Drafted 2032 - 15th Over-All Pick in Round 1 (Des Moines)
8/9 Stuff
7/7 MOV
7/7 CON
Stephen made his move through the Minors in 2035, tearing up AA for awhile before being promoted for a few AAA starts before the end of the season. Taub is a well balanced Lefty starter with a dominant slider. Look for Stephen to cook in the AAA for 2036 before possibly being called for the Roster Expansion or for 2037 for his BBA Debut.

Liam Massey
24 Year Old Starting Pitcher - Drafted 2029 - 21st Over-All PIck
8/11 Stuff
7/7 MOV
7/7 CON
Liam is a hard throwing... junk baller? With velocity over 100+MPH, Liam has a Splitter, Sinker and Change Up. Massey made few BBA Starts in 2034, but was recalled after getting roughed up. He spent all of 2035 in AAA Death Valley, putting a 14 & 7 record. He's now out of Option Years, so look for Liam to spend the entire season at BBA, whether he's ready or not... which it looks like he's ready.

Key Pitchers on the Staff

Matt Mills
32 Year Old Starting Pitcher
6/6 Stuff
6/7 MOV
8/8 CON
The only high price talent on the team ($8 Million), Matt Mills was an extremely solid Starter for the Tropics in 2035. He pitched 203 innings with a 3.77 ERA & 1.27 WHIP. Mills has spent all 5 of his BBA Seasons with Hawaii and has a compiled an extremely respectable career 14.4 WAR. As an upcoming Free Agent, Mills is likely going to be requesting Big Time money from Hawaii for an extension. However, the Tropics have the money to pay him.... but should they? The Team is likely two years away from breaking out... but it could be as soon as next year. If Mills pitches well in 2036, the Tropics could let him walk for a Comp Pick. Or possibly trade him for even more young talent. He lost a point in movement in the off season, though he could reclaim it. Either way, Matt Mills might be one of the hardest decisions for the Tropics in 2036.

Rob Fuller
30 Year Old Closer
9/10 Stuff
7/7 MOV
8/8 CON
Rob Fuller was signed in the Off Season to anchor the bullpen. While obviously talented, Fuller has a hard time staying off the Injury Report. However, when Healthy, Rob should do a fine job closing out games for the Topics.

Hector Barajas
27 Year Old Closer
10/10 Stuff
5/5 MOV
7/7 CON
After a horrendous 2034 campaign, Hector was sent back to AAA in 2035 to work on his stuff. With his stamina, he could perform well in the Stopper role. Rumor is that he's injury prone, but he hasn't been OUT since 2030. Look for him to take in the slack when Fuller is on the DL.

TOP 2 HITTER PROSPECTS

Benton Allen
23 Year Old Left Fielder - Drafted 2033 - 7th Over-All Pick (Hawaii)
8/8 CON
8/8 GAP
7/8 POW
4/4 EYE
Benton made his BBA debut in 2035 with the roster expansion and peformed well. Hitting .286 with 3 HR's over 20 games. Look for a nice breakout rookie season from Benton in 2036.

Manuel 'Second Coming' Aguilar, Jr.
19 Year Old 1B - Drafted 2034 - 9th Overall Pick (Hawaii)
7/8 CON
9/9 GAP
5/8 POW
6/6 EYE
Looks like the BBA is going to have to wait a little longer for the "Second Coming", but he's progressing well and appears to be meeting his potential. Might be a solid force for the Tropics in 2-3 seasons...

KEY POSITION PLAYERS

Gerbrand de Best
25 Year Old Right Fielder - IFA Scouting Find in 2027 from Aruba
7/7 CON
6/6 GAP
7/7 POW
8/8 EYE
De Best is an exciting, well rounded corner outfielder with a cannon arm. Gerbrand reminds this reviewer of Ray Cooper... look for him to be solid producer, year in - year out. Potential 30 HR - 30 SB. The kind of guy you can just plug in the #3 spot... and never have to worry about him. If the Tropics can put it together in the next few seasons, look for this guy to be anchor of the offense.

Fernando Martinez
24 Year Old Second Baseman - IFA Prospect from Dominican Republic (Calgary)
8/8 CON
8/8 GAP
4/4 POW
4/4 EYE
A 2035 All Star, Fernando is a defensive wizard at second base. He hits a ton of doubles and makes a lot of contact. He's a bit of a free swinger though and his On Base % is probably a little low for a lead off guy. Look for Fernando to improve offensively and definitely earn some Gold Gloves in the future.

Other Key Young Players

LF Micheal Durham 7/9/7/5 Hitting
3B David Tallent 7/9/7/4 Hitting
SS Ernesto Alfiche A 11/11/8/10 Fielder

SUMMARY
The rebuilding process may have taken half a decade, but it's starting to look like it may soon pay off. While it might be a little too optimistic to look for too much success in 2036, it's going to be an exciting year for Tropic's Fans, watching these young players start to blossom. It might be a little early to predict a play off appearance in the next year or so, but let's just say it wouldn't be too surprising either.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

nerfHerder
Ex-GM

Re: 2036 Hawaii Tropics Team Preview

Post by nerfHerder » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Great preview. I wish I could reciprocate. Pretty much spot on with what I'm thinking.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-2044)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:42 am

nerfHerder wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 pm
Great preview. I wish I could reciprocate. Pretty much spot on with what I'm thinking.
You're welcome. Hawaii looks a lot like Twin Cities from 3 years ago... except maybe better. I'm too sentimental with these "Guys" and I'd have a hard time dumping Matt Mills after letting him suffer with losing teams so many years just when the team is starting to turn around... lol.

If he's reasonable with a contract extension, I'd keep him. It's nice having a steady workhorse like him who's reliable. But if he's like my 3 guys with their crazy extension demands, it would definitely be hard to lock him in long term.

Also, in one or seasons, if Hawaii can find that one Star #1 pitcher, either through a guy bumping in the minors, FA or whatever... Get Ready in Maui
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:37 am

Iron Knife with a 12 knuckleball potential... can't wait to see that kid in the majors! Taub has the inside track on the ROTY vote as long as HI doesn't hold him back long enough to disqualify him (on talent he should be the opening day starter, but I won't pillory you if you hold him back until May for cost control reasons). Massey, Allen and Aguilar are all ready, too. Should be a fun year of growth in HI.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:08 pm

I like this take on a preview for a rebuilding team. Good job.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”