2035 California Crusaders

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
ae37jr
BBA GM

2035 California Crusaders

Post by ae37jr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 am

2035 California Crusaders:
If You Can't Beat 'Em... Join Them.
Image (A first glimpse at South Pacific Fields new right field fence.) [tab=30]Perhaps there was no bigger move the California Crusaders made this offseason then the one they made to the field itself. It only seems appropriate to start here. South Pacific Field has become sort of a legend in it's own right over the years. One of the most monumental pitchers parks in the history of the BBA, So-Pac Field has been sort or a 28th man for the Crusaders. Just like a player on the roster, it had it's strengths and it's weakness though. For every pitcher that was aided by the park, was a hitter who was destroyed. After years of offensive frustration, California's leader Ted Schmidt finally got fed up with seeing sluggers like Fernando Moreno (6/5/10/9/6 Talents) consistently fly out to the warning track and decided a change was in order. While So-Pac Field is still a decisive pitchers park and death to right handed hitters, it's shortened right field fence will carve a niche out for left handed power hitters. The downside of this strategy is that a legend will fall this year because of it. But more on that later. Let's get into the preview.

Catchers
[tab=30]Chip Saunders (6/6/5/6/6 Talents) and Ippolito Basaglia (5/6/7/8/7 Talents) will return to split the catching duties. For a team who lives and dies on pitching, Saunders is a dream catcher. While he doesn't really help you at the plate much, he is an elite reciever and a great clubhouse guy. Ippo is a lefty masher who will spell Saunders a few days a week. He is over paid for what he is and his best attribute is nerfed in his homefield. He should still be a solid contributer though. Especially when teams start lining up lefthanded pitchers when the play California. Ippo could be a secret weapon.

First Base/DH
[tab=30]Like many teams in the BBA, California has a glut of bodies available to stand at first base or sit in the dugout, bat in hand. Fernando Moreno (6/5/10/9/6 Talents) has been doing that for a long time and figures to continue doing so. The soon to be 33 year old slugger is no longer the 10 WAR player he was just 4 years ago. On a warm sunny day back in 2032 he pretty much woke up and forgot who he was. Since then he has been a shell of his former self. The Crusaders need Moreno to bounce back if they have any hopes for a Landis this season.

[tab=30]John Cochran (7/6/7/6/7 Talents) will enter his 3rd full season with the Crusaders at DH. In 2034, Cochran became the only Crusaders in the last 3 seasons to hit 30 HR. His power should play better with the new dimensions. Look for him to have a breakout season. Newman Watson (8/4/7/7/8 Talents), Mark Stuart (8/4/5/8/9 Talents), and Cris Vazquez (6/7/10/4/5 Talents) give the team many solid options to either platoon or come off the bench. All three of them could be starters in the league for somebody. Chester Owens (7/7/5/3/8 Talents) looks to be the odd man out. He is out of options and clearly inferior to the 5 other 1B/DH options on the 40. Look for him to be traded for a bucket of baseballs or get picked up by a team on the waiver wire who will try him at 2B.

Infield
[tab=30]Claudio DeFazio and Jesus Flores (7/7/7/4/8 Talents) is the kind of double play combo that most teams salivate over. Both are young, great defenders, who can hold their own on offense. DeFazio answered a lot of critics by overcoming his dreadful 2033 season and rebounding to career averages. The speedster should probably pick his spots better on the bases. Last season he was caught 45 times. That's a game and a half worth of outs he made.

[tab=30]The hot corner looks to be a platoon of Nico Eijpe (7/8/7/3/6 Talents) and Atilio Seabra (5/5/9/7/6 Talents). Eijpe is just 20 years old and shows a lot of potential. He'll need to improve upon his .254/.296/.405 line to live up to it. I'd call him a wild card. He could breakout and be an all star, he could struggle another year due to his young age. Seabra is a versatile veteran who could benefit from soley playing 3rd base. Over the past several years he has played all over the diamond to litte success. When he made a name for himself he was a starting 3B in Seattle for years.

[tab=30]Other depth names that could help are Rodrigo Estrada (5/6/6/7/7 Talents), Tom Coulthard (6/6/6/6/6 Talents), and Mark Rich (6/6/6/4/6 Talents). If there is an area where California is vulnerable, it is the middle infield. An untimely injury could cause the Crusaders to scuffle. Center fielder Bryan Robson (7/7/4/6/6 Talents) could step in, but that would weaken the outfield and likely not be a real solution.

Outfield
[tab=30]The afore mentioned Robson quaterbacks the Crusader outfield. He is the reigning Diamond Glove in CF. He can also hold his own with the lumber against right hand pitching. Longtime Bandit/Outlaw Jesus Fernandaz will back up Robsen. He has 30 HR power and can kinda sorta play CF for 7 innings a couple of nights a week. Flynn Johnson (6/7/8/6/6 Talents) is looking to build off a an embarassing rookie campaign in right. He has all the tools to be a power bat but has yet to put it together. Estaban Cuervo is a similar power bat in right. Trdat Kazarov (6/7/8/4/5 Talents) is a solid 4th outfielder that will platoon at one of the corners. The spot that he doesn't fill will likely be given to either Fernandez or Seabra with whatever lefty bat is the hottest staying in the lineup.

Starters
[tab=30]This is the meat and potatoes when talking California Crusader baseball. No team has dominated the pitching game like the Crusaders have. Many critics have stated that at least part of the reason their pitching has been so dominate has been the aid of their stadium . With the right field fence being brought in, what effect will it have on the greatest staff in the BBA? It's a fair question..

[tab=30]Miguel Ramos (10/6/7 Talents) was anointed as the new ace after his newcomer of the year win in 2034. Bumblebee is a 23 year old left handed fire baller that will do well in any park. He should step up and join the likes of Lynch, Dempster and Kelly as one of the games best elite young pitchers. Next up is 29 year old veteran lefty Luis Gracia (10/8/8 Talents). He is coming off arguably his best BBA season. Shorter fences might mean another homer or 2, but Garcia is still the real deal as well. Cisco Morales (9/6/8 Talents) will probably be effected more then the first two pitchers. His movement is merely very good and has given up a fair share of homers to left handed batters. Expect his numbers to mirror that of his 2034. Which up until that point would be considered a really bad year. Jaime Mercado (8/7/8 Talents) is another lefty groundball pitcher sohe should be the same guy he has always been. A decent to good number four.

[tab=30]Last and certainly not least is future Hall of Famer Ricardo Diaz (9/5/6 Talents). Scholsy, old pal, you might want to retire now and forgo your chance at 4,000 strikeouts. It's not going to be pretty for the right handed flyball pitcher with deteriorating skills. Diaz is the clear loser in the ballpark alterations. It's going to be painful to watch the 37 year old Crusader legend take the hill this season.

Bullpen
[tab=30]Who needs a bullpen when you have a rotation like the Crusaders? Well believe it or not, they don't pitch nine innings every night. So there has to be some guys to come in and close things out. To be honest. I'm not going to be very good at predicting this are. California uses their bullpen much differently then I am accustomed to and a lot of these guys look the same to me. I'll give a shot though. The two main guys look to be Reynaldo Garza (9/9/8 Talents) and Rien van der Heyden (8/6/8 Talents). Fact: When Garza was drafted in 2016, van der Heyden was just 4 years old. The cagy veteran Garza seems immune to decline. The elite spin rate on his curveball has long outlasted many of the 100+ mph guys who have since blown out their arms. van der Heyden is a decent all around player from Oranjestad Aruba.

[tab=30]Guus Alberink (8/6/8 Talents) and Rafael Suarez (10/6/6 Talents) will get California through the middle innings if the Crusaders need length. The best thing I can say about Alberink is that he throws strikes and was childhood friends with van der Heydan. Middle relief is probably the easiest area to improve. California s probably just waiting things out and will bring in a bullpen when the season gets to that point.

Summary
[tab=30]Well there you have it folks. California brings back virtually the same team. But progression of youngsters and changes in field dimensions could stir things up quite a bit. Also realignment will have an effect here as well. Hawaii and Valencia are currently in a rebuild. Long Beach is a bit of a tweener team that could go that route as well and sell huge on Car-Go and Simpson. Or they could try to sneak in the playoffs in what is probably the weakest division in the BBA. California and San Fernando are the only legitimate playoff contenders here IMO. I say California will win 90 games and win the division. It may be a little on the high side, but 15-20 of those wins will be against Valencia and Hawaii.
Last edited by ae37jr on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

bcslouck
BBA GM

Re: 2035 California Crusaders

Post by bcslouck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:40 am

While I think CAL has good enough pitching to pitch almost anywhere, I think it is a fair question to wonder if the field adjustment will hurt the pitching more than it helps the offense. I think Valencia could be greatly improved and Long Beach seems to find a way to be in the mix. Adding the Landis winner, I'm not sure the division is all that weak. They could win 90 (though I'm not sure he will), but I think it'd be a Wild Card spot if he does.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:58 am

Great stuff, Alan. I'm on the road today but will try to get yours done tonight or tomorrow. You absolutely nailed it though. I really don't know how the dimension adjustment will work out. Also, your picture of my new fence is tremendous.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 am

Yes. Adore the fashionable new fence.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Nice!! Well written.

Now I'm invested to see how your prediction on Ricardo Diaz will play out.

Hopefully he's pissed off after reading this and has already printed out several copies to take the restroom to wipe his butt with... lol.

You know, as motivation.

Anyway, well done!!
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Confident that SF, CAL and LBC will all be in the playoff race. Not selling on CarGo and Simpson yet.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

bigmike13
Ex-GM

Post by bigmike13 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Well done
Mike Calvaruso
San Antonio Outlaws 2030 -