2034 Omaha Hawks Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
bcslouck
BBA GM

2034 Omaha Hawks Preview

Post by bcslouck » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 am

In 2033, Omaha was in a crowed Wild Card picture in the Frick League. They came up short, finishing at 82-80. Despite the disappointment, it was a big step forward from their 69-93 finish in 2032. If you are a fan of Pythagorean records, they're 2033 doesn't look as good, as they were +7 and only 3 games better in that respect than 2032. So what is this team? Are they a team on the rise or overachievers masked as potential 2034 playoff contenders?

Rotation
It's a solid mix of young arms and veterans. Joe Clements looks to be taking the ball on Opening Day again. He isn't there best arm, but he's a solid innings eater who's been through the franchises last couple of rough years. Edris Mtume looks to step into the rotation this year after a solid year at AAA and logging some good innings in the majors. He's a smart kid who works hard and should take that next step to being a reliable SP at some point in the near future. Adam Barnard is probably the teams best starter. Given his age, it's understandable that he isn't at the top of the rotation. But the team would be better off bumping him up there after a good 2033. Jon Chandler is a solid veteran addition who brings playoff experience to a young rotation with playoff experience. He should log solid innings while getting the other guys prepared for the pressures of playoff baseball. Troy Downey is set to be the #5 starter at this point. He was solid in 2033 but could have issues giving up the long ball. It won't be an issue if he can keep runners of the bases.

Overall, I'd say at this point the rotation could be average. The team has a couple talented arms that could replace anyone who is ineffective down at AAA. We'll get to them later.

Bullpen
They have a couple solid arms. Flint Colbert, Jose Reyes, Jose Canales, John Woods, and Angel Calderon should all log some solid or better innings for the team. They also have a couple solid middle and long relievers. They should be able to fine a good mix of arms to go along with the mentioned names to give them a good bullpen. If the starters can give them 6 innings night in and night out, they probably have a good chance of closing out games as a group.

Lineup
Jimmy Starks has been a solid player so far in his ML career. He still hasn't developed his power potential, but he gets on base at a solid clip at the top of the lineup. They need to reign in his SB attempts though, as he has less stolen bases than time he's been caught stealing. Aymeric Barajas is a good option to bat 2nd with his solid contact skills and gap power. He also mans LF good enough. A nice player overall. Emilio Morales has a ton of power and plays a slick 2B defense. For as much power he has and as little as he walks, he actually strikes out very little. He has the potential to be a better contact hitter and they'll need that from him to make a push this year. Buck Munoz is another solid power hitter, but doesn't do much else great as a hitter. He is a very good defender who cleans up bad throws from the infield. Jesus Rojas looks like a solid player who's still young. He isn't a #5 hitter type though. Jesus Alvarado isn't the worst hitter to have but isn't a viable DH option in my opinion. Jim Tremblett has some good power and is a good defender at 3B. He should probably be batting 5th in front of Rojas and Alvarado. Bob Wagner has the potential to be one of the better contact hitting catchers in the league. He's shown glimpses, but he'll have to put it together soon to help a lineup that seems to need some more punch. Newly acquired Pablo Soto is a solid SS option to have batting at the bottom of the order. He'll provide some contact but not much else with the bat while being a steady defender at SS.

I do think this is a below average bunch. They could hit a ton of HR's, but they won't have many people on base to drive them in. If Jared Davis makes the team, he should be in a platoon with Alvarado to help give some more depth. I think they need a lot to go right for the lineup to be formidable. I'm not sure where Valentin Colon fits in. He's a talented hitter and a passable defender at a couple different spots.

Bench
I'm not sure how his bench will shake out, but I'll take a shot at it. Rule 5 pick Hamza Combes should probably be returned. As mentioned above, Jared Davis is a lefty masher and should make the team to get AB's against them. Dave Robertson is a solid backup C. Robinson Peralta isn't much of a hitter, but he can play all 3 outfield position well. Armando Hernandez looks like a bench bet as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get some DH's at bats.

The group is fine. Nothing spectacular but it could probably be worse. They can get some better options fairly cheap if they feel they need to strengthen it up.

Prospect close to ML Ready
A couple interesting names here. James Monger looks like he'll be a 2B who can rake. Doesn't look fully developed as a prospect, but he was very good at AAA last year. He could probably be an okay-ish SS. But he looks destined for 2B. Carson Stoller appears to be ready development wise but I'm sure the team wants to see him have success at AAA after a rough 2033. Other than needing to finish off his changeup, it's fine enough for now to play with his plus fastball and sinker. If he starts off hot and one of Omaha's starters struggle or get hurt, he's the first call to fill in. Miroslav Tomanek was very good at AAA last year but that changeup is lagging. He could see ML action in the 'pen this year. Poto Tornatore, Spike Wagners, Jose Gonzalez, and Lorenzo Chavez are also intriguing arms who could help the team soon.

They aren't a top system, but they have some AAA players who could help step in if need be or fetch them another proven ML piece.

Prediction
I'm not sold this is a better team than last year. They made some solid moves to try an improve the team. Losing Tavio Ciccolella will hurt as he logged a ton of innings and gave the bullpen most nights off. I think this team is still at least a year away as currently constructed. The rotation could be solid but has question marks, from how will the young arms fair to if some of the veterans can get it done. The bullpen should be good but that won't matter much if the rotation can't keep them games. I think the lineup is weak and needs an upgrade or two. Ton of power, but they have to get guys on base for the power. At best, they will finish 4th in the Heartland in my opinion. Based on the last few years, that's roughly an 85 win team. I'm not sure this team is that good. They could be if things go perfect, but as we all know, they rarely do. I'm predicting a .500 season and missing out on the Wild Card by a few games again. But the future could be very bright.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

niles08
BBA GM

Re: 2034 Omaha Hawks Preview

Post by niles08 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Very well said. I don't disagree with anything you said. I feel like this year is even more of a question mark for my team based on what we did last year as I have no idea what to really expect. our off-season showed a WAR of 9 games compared to last year but you know how that works out.

I actually posted my final opening day roster and lineup/rotation earlier today so its funny you posted this pretty quick to when I did.

I wanted pretty badly to give Barnard the opening day start this year but Joe has been around and I feel like I owed it to him lol. I am hoping since my park/good defense last season seemed to nerf offensive production last year that it will allow my pitchers to do very well. Troy Downey might have issues since the park does give up some long balls like you said.

I will agree I have a ton of power in my lineup with very little ability to get on base and the fact my park is below average in hits does not help those who can't truly hit the ball long ball and rely on singles. I am hoping Alvarado has better luck this year with his BABIP and can stick at DH. Davis did make the team so that should help things. Although I probably should have returned Hamza I am still holding out hope that I can finagle things around to hang onto him for the time being.

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:50 pm

I forgot to mentioned your team defense in my preview. It should be at least solid from what I see.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 pm

*Delete*
Last edited by Spiccoli on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 pm

I can't believe Tavio signed for $14.5M.

As for Omaha, I do think they'll contend this season.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:44 pm

The Heartland is once again going to be a bloodbath.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Spiccoli wrote:I can't believe Tavio signed for $14.5M.

As for Omaha, I do think they'll contend this season.
I tried to lowball him once during the season and after that he didn't even want to talk to me.

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:43 am

Well seeing you moving some pieces, I think I about nailed the evaluation of your team up to this point. Prediction may come a bit short though.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:49 am

Yea I agree...We have done worse than what I had hoped this year and I don't think we will get to .500 as you predicted. The process of clearing cap space for upcoming seasons certainly was a big deal for me and when Starks & Stoller both went down it hurt us noticeably.

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am

niles08 wrote:Yea I agree...We have done worse than what I had hoped this year and I don't think we will get to .500 as you predicted. The process of clearing cap space for upcoming seasons certainly was a big deal for me and when Starks & Stoller both went down it hurt us noticeably.
It can be hard to figure out when your team is ready to make the jump, especially when you've been staring at awful players for over a year. I know I had a false start with Jacksonville back in 2027. I thought we were one piece from being able to push for just over .500 (which was good enough to compete in the JLA back then) and traded Felipe Baez and Howard for Workman. Workman was great, but everyone else was awful and we actually finished worse than 2026.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”