Looking at the Johnson League Atlantic Division

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Looking at the Johnson League Atlantic Division

Post by scottsdale_joe » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:09 am

The Johnson Atlantic – A Preview
Brooklyn Looks To Be Overwhelming Favorite
by Caitlen Sullivan
Halifax Chronicle Herald Sports Editor
March 1, 2024

Here’s our take on the Johnson League Atlantic Division race:

Halifax Hawks

We will review the home town boys position-by-position in a separate article. For now it is fairly safe to say that
  • Bo Jordan will be monsterous
  • Elroy Hinson will excel behind the plate and at the bat.
  • The bullpen will most likely suck.
Other than that suffice to say for now that the operative word for Halifax success is “IF” then Halifax could be better than .500. Challenge for the division? I think not because . . .

Brooklyn Robins

Brooklyn looks like a shoo-in for the Atlantic title. Make them 1-5 favorites. With Salvador Barron, Joey Budding, and Rick Ward, the Robins have three top notch starters, and Kenny Hill may well be a fourth. They have six catchers on their major league roster, most of whom could challenge for a major league job. Of those, Benjy O’Rorke looks like a defensive genius and a potential stud They are solid at every infield position, and outfielder/DH Brian Whitten led the league in hitting last season. With Whitten at DH, as is likely, the outfield is a little thin after Jose Escarceja, so a lot there depends on how highly (over)paid EBA transfer Victor Talboom performs. While the bullpen is not top notch, all-in-all, Brooklyn looks like the class of the division, and the Robins should cruise to the title.

Greenville Moonshiners

The Moonshiners should have respectable pitching at the top with Angel Ramirez, Domingo Hernandez, and maybe Esteban Benitez providing reliable starts while Ernie von Schledorn excels as the closer after Manuel Guerra and Pascal Escobar do the set-up work. Beyond them, however, there may be troubles on the mound. On the position player side, Maxwell Weiss is a superb offensive catcher and Juan Alvarado is a reliable if defensively challenged backup. Beyond that the closest thing to a star is outfielder Vicente Marin and he hit a disappointing .194 last season. Offense is going to be a problem in Greenville

Louisville Sluggers

Louisville has five quality position players:
  • Paul Scholes is a catching genius who should also hit
  • Boone Carlyle is a star at third base and will be a force if he can stay healthy
  • Martin Felix will play right field and he can hit with the best of them
  • Englishman Brian Clough will hit well over .300 and provide reliable defense IF he stays off the disabled list
  • First baseman Jorge Caballero should hit .300 and hit 30+ home runs
After that it’s a crap shoot, and there are eight positions to play, nine when you count the need for a designated hitter. Rotation-wise, Bryan Walden is capable of winning twenty and Tomas Claros could help if he can translate his EBA success into wins in the MBWBA. The rotation is thin after that although Zach Bauer won eleven games last year. The bullpen may actually be the best in the division with Bobby Guthrington, Dan Yale. Miguel Lara, and Jesus Hopkins providing a solid core.

BOTTOM LINE
Brooklyn romps to the division title.
Halifax battles for and achieves second place without wild card success.
Louisville comes third in this weak division.
Greenville brings up the rear.

elligator
Ex-GM

Re: Looking at the Johnson League Atlantic Division

Post by elligator » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:40 am

Nice job!

Sadly, I think you are right about poor Greenville, solid top of the rotation starting pitching and a good back of the bullpen, but not much depth. And on offense, it's Maxwell Weiss and the Misfits. This team has the look of a major train wreck of a rebuild for the next few years. Brooklyn looks great, and I do think Halifax has a shot to make some noise.

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:51 am

Nobody ran away with this division last year, and I wonder if it'll happen this year. Haven't had the time to really evaluate, but I will.

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 am

aaronweiner wrote:Nobody ran away with this division last year, and I wonder if it'll happen this year. Haven't had the time to really evaluate, but I will.
I came in late but I have no clue why Brooklyn didn't dominate this division last year too. If they play like they did in September, they will romp next year.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:31 am

scottsdale_joe wrote:
aaronweiner wrote:Nobody ran away with this division last year, and I wonder if it'll happen this year. Haven't had the time to really evaluate, but I will.
I came in late but I have no clue why Brooklyn didn't dominate this division last year too. If they play like they did in September, they will romp next year.
Because they had DH's playing in their OF corners.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:29 pm

You're gonna feel foolish in September after Louisville has romped out a 15 game division win...and the shitgulls are in last...if greenville can pull it together, I mean...

Good bulletin board material at any rate

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:15 am

felipe wrote:You're gonna feel foolish in September after Louisville has romped out a 15 game division win...and the shitgulls are in last...if greenville can pull it together, I mean...
Good bulletin board material at any rate
:) That Cardinal is mean looking. Meaner even than my Hawk. And a pleasant happy robin will destroy us both. Greenville really needs a bird logo in the bird-centric JL Atlantic. Or maybe adopt the bird dog logo from Bird Dog Moonshine. Peppermint moonshine. Yum.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

elligator
Ex-GM

Post by elligator » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:30 am

scottsdale_joe wrote:That Cardinal is mean looking. Meaner even than my Hawk. And a pleasant happy robin will destroy us both. Greenville really needs a bird logo in the bird-centric JL Atlantic. Or maybe adopt the bird dog logo from Bird Dog Moonshine. Peppermint moonshine. Yum.
I'll keep it in mind for possible rebranding in future seasons. In the meantime, I do seem to have a bird in my logo, although what the heck kind of bird is it? Some sort of moonshine-toting, vaguely eagle-like bird.

For some reason, I feel like a turkey vulture would be appropriate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”