2023: LV Hustlers Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
agrudez
Ex-GM

2023: LV Hustlers Preview

Post by agrudez » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Last Season:
Finished 96-66, 1st in the FLP, lost in the FL conference finals to the eventual WS champion Gamblers, 4 games to 2.

Offseason Losses:
1B Lucio Vazquez (waivers)
SS Todd Kilger (waivers)
C Richie Shafer (waivers)
P Dillon Bell (Rule 5)
P Jose Sanchez (Rule 5)

Offseason Acquisitions:
C Julio Chacon (FA)
IF Vicente Medrano (FA)
OF Carlin Adie (FA)

Offseason Overview:
The big change is obviously the loss of Vazquez. While it is true that his contract was going to be untenable moving forward after the acquisition and re-signing of Swanson that doesn’t mean the loss of a near .400 OBP, >.850 OPS bat won’t sting. The other losses were mostly of the depth type (to save money, no doubt, as well) and the acquisitions were to replenish the depth lost. Adie may have an impact as a RH platoon, but at 41 years old even that might be up in the air. I suppose the big delta between the 2022 to 2023 Hustlers is the extra half season of Swanson – which is certainly one worth noting.

Rotation:
1 Swanson
2 Bautista
3 Estes
4 Wren
5 Morris

As has become the hallmark of every Hustlers team I’ve ever seen, the rotation is elite. In fact, it may be (probably is) the best in the league. I don’t know how Matt does it, but when I left the league he had a rotation full of old (still good) arms and now he has one full of young amazing ones – some guys have all the luck, I ‘spose. Not only is that an arsenal of 5 straight potential 20 game winners, it also has the luxury of being, probably, the only rotation in the league with more Southpaws than right-handers (a 3:2 split) – clearly this is a staff built with a knowledge of the league in mind.

Bullpen:
CL Valera
SU Dezgado
SU Gonzalez

As bullpen’s generally go, this is an exceptionally deep and talented one. Valera is amongst the best in the ‘biz (at only 25 years old, no less), Dezgado and Gonzalez are solid with the potential to be even more than that and the rest of the names can at least keep the game under control should they find themselves on the mound. One thing I especially like is the duality of guys like Morris and McHall whom could toss some adequate (albeit uninspiring) starts once the inevitable (for us all) injury bugs hit the Hustler rotation.

Lineup:
CF Espinosa
LF Banuelos
3B Eisenhower
LF Vega
1B Moreno
RF Pacheco
C Carmona
SS Hernandez
2B Allen

This is a very sexy lineup on paper with solid up the middle defense in Hernandez (8 range), Allen (9 range) and Espinosa (9 range). It’s also a very ‘traditional’ lineup as both Espinosa and Banuelos are absolute speed demons (with decent OBP potential) at the top with stereotypical drive ‘em in guys beyond in Eisenhower and Vega. If I had one critique it would be that having your best hitter be RH’d (unless he is Frank Thomas, of course) usually doesn’t end well – and I’d expect Eisenhower to finished closer to the .793 OPS in ’21 than the .902 in ’22 (which, of course, is still awesome, but sometimes you have to actively look for nits to pick). Left-handed mashers like Vega and Moreno (the reason it was acceptable to let Vazquez walk) will certainly help ease that pain, of course. After that, their 6-9 isn’t terribly inspiring (whose is?), but since they only need 3 runs or so a game to win with their rotation I think they’ll survive /sarcasm.

Prediction:
So, yeah… this is a really good team. Let me take a moment to count my blessings that I’m in the JL. Clearly LV is the class of the FLP and will end up probably being the class of the FL overall (which will make them the class of the league by default). I wouldn’t be surprised by another breaking of the 100 win barrier and long playoff run – with a potential title at its conclusion.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: 2023: LV Hustlers Preview

Post by recte44 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Can i ever win one again? My postseason luck has been brutal in recent years.

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Re: 2023: LV Hustlers Preview

Post by cheekimonk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:41 pm

recte44 wrote:Can i ever win one again? My postseason luck has been brutal in recent years.
You just need to get matched up with Indy in the Doubleday. The way you manhandle my team, it will cure all your woes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”