2055 Chicago Black Sox Team Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
RT60
BBA GM

2055 Chicago Black Sox Team Preview

Post by RT60 » Tue May 30, 2023 9:55 pm

Before I sat down to write this preview, I asked a handful of Chicago fans what they thought of the team and its direction. The consensus was a guarded optimism. Most of the fans I spoke with remember fondly the 2040’s, when the team made the playoffs in seven straight seasons. Since then, fans have watched the wheels come off, culminating in a 103-loss season in 2053, the third-worst finish in the team’s long history. The team did bounce back last year to get 67 wins.

They know baseball can be cyclical and sometimes you need to endure a rebuild before getting back to consistent success. They also know that recent front office changes are part of that. Chicago has a new GM, and 2055 will be his first full season with the club. Fans mentioned that they like what they see so far, but part of that could be the desensitivity that comes from watching a losing team for six straight seasons. I also may have received different answers if I went to bars around Vitale Stadium and surveyed the regulars instead of talking with Winnetka residents.

While nobody expects Chicago to be close to contending this season, it will be interesting to see whether they can continue their upward trend and what effect the new GM will have. The pundits are not optimistic and actually have them doing slightly worse. Are they right? Let’s find out.

Infield

At 1B, Brody Bond returns in his last guaranteed contract year (team option after this season). He is tied for the highest paid player on the team at 6M. Defensively he is solid, but offensively he has been trending downward over multiple seasons to the point of negative WAR. If Bond struggles, perhaps youngster Frank Collins will get his shot. Collins was the team’s 2nd round pick in 2050 and could turn some heads this season. A solid defensive first-basemen, he might also surprise offensively.

At 2B, I am not sure what happened to Carlos Gutierrez and why he was released last August. Louisville gleefully signed him to a minor league deal and now some may think he may start the season at the big club. Look for new free agent signing Daryl Tibbet to start at 2B, though it could be Matthew Hewat. He might not be the second coming of Ski Mellilo, but Daryl should be tidy defensively and provide some needed speed. If Tibbet falters, Ralph Knowles might be thrust into the major league spotlight for the first time.

At SS, my money is on Matthew Hewat getting the most starts. Though he is a natural second-baseman, Hewat is also good defensively at short. He is another free agent signing bring new blood to the team, and just like Tibbet, he is signed for only a year.

At 3B, Jeremy Starks will return for his third year with the club. Jeremy had a breakout season in 2054, hitting .291/21/66 while being solid at the hot corner. He could be poised for an even bigger year this season.

At C, due to Ben Scott being traded late last season, look for Rafael Elias to get most starts behind the plate this season. Elias is one of the better defensive catchers in the league though don’t expect much offensively. Will the team keep Bruce McKinley around? He is in the last year of his contract paying him 5M this season, but he doesn’t seem to have much left in the tank.

Outfield

In LF, Cordell Vaughn returns. Vaughn is one of the better overall players on the team. He is fantastic defensively, and has some pop. Look for him to hit over 20 homers this year. Fans would love it if he returns to his 2051 form when he hit 26 HR with 95 RBI, but don’t count on that kind of resurgence.

In CF, the one and only Reed Graham will finally get his time to shine. After flirting with a permanent starting role so far in his career, this could be the season where he locks one down. One of the best free agent pickups in the offseason, Graham is a leader that rights the ship and the glue that keeps everyone in sync. He is a premier defensive outfielder with speed. He has also shown a decent bat despite coming off the bench for many AB. The fans in Louisville are sad that he’s gone. Good luck Mr. Graham.

In RF, it could be time for Carlos Garza. A solid defensive outfielder and one fast mother. He can also get on base which is crucial for him to be able to use his speed. Power he does not have however.

DH

It looks like Garry Mihalsky will slot in as DH. Tied with Bond as the highest paid player at 6M, the former GBC star will likely provide the most offensive spark in the lineup. I don’t think he will replicate his 28 HR and 73 RBI though. Not sure if its the GBC pedigree or the injury history or something else that makes me pessimistic about Mihalsky.

Starting Pitching

Not much change in Chicago’s rotation. Back are Mrej Stravnicky, Carlos Moya, Albert Krant, and Dirk Bessi. Moya could be poised for a breakout year in his second season. The team rolled the dice and signed Jorge Diaz to a one-year deal. If you just lightly touch Jorge’s elbow, he will require six months of rehab. But if he can get back to the promise he had before missing two full seasons with elbow injuries several years ago (17 wins in 2048!), then watch out. So far he has been unable to do that, which has led him to be bounced around since being traded away from Louisville. The rotation is relatively young and if pitching for better offensive teams they could have much better numbers. They are solid, and should be one of the team’s relative strengths this season.

Relief Pitching

In the bullpen, Chicago fans will be very happy to see All-Star Mike Baker and his 37 saves return. Also returning are Brick Pollitt and Francisco Ortiz after a very fine season. Expect more of the same.

Prediction

Chicago is not going to score a lot of runs. This is actually in line with the front office’s vision for the team. They want to be tidy in their own end while playing solid fast small ball. If their pitching can rise to the occasion, this team could surprise and even reach 70 wins. Even though it is tempting to be bullish on the team’s chances due solely to Reed Graham, I think Diaz and Mikalsky will disappoint and ultimately cause the team to drop to 65 wins.

KJChmura
Ex-GM

Re: 2055 Chicago Black Sox Team Preview

Post by KJChmura » Tue May 30, 2023 10:02 pm

Nice write up.

Gutierrez had 32 errors last year, awful defense led to his release. Defense will be heavily emphasized.

RT60
BBA GM

Post by RT60 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:31 pm

KJChmura wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:02 pm
Nice write up.

Gutierrez had 32 errors last year, awful defense led to his release. Defense will be heavily emphasized.
Yeah, that makes sense. He didn't make the team this year, but I like knowing he is down on the farm just in case.

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed May 31, 2023 8:17 am

Winnetka residents are a fickle bunch. Nice writeup!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”