2050 BBA Playoffs Geoghegan Preview: Rockville Pikemen vs. Atlantic City Gamblers

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
lordtoffee
BBA GM

2050 BBA Playoffs Geoghegan Preview: Rockville Pikemen vs. Atlantic City Gamblers

Post by lordtoffee » Fri May 06, 2022 3:52 pm

It's that time of the year when the 12 best teams in the BBA fight it out for the BBA crown. In this playoff preview, we will take a look at the Geoghegan series between the Rockville Pikemen and the Atlantic City Gamblers.

The Records:
Atlantic City finished with a record of 92-70, finishing 2 games back of Atlantic champions New Orleans. Rockville finished with a record of 91-71, finishing 3 games back of New Orleans. During the regular season, Rockville won the season series 10-6. By virtue of their better record, Atlantic City will have the home field.

Atlantic Parity:
While the Heartland guys might have something to say about it, the Atlantic had a ton of balance this year. New Orleans, Rockville, Atlantic City, and Jacksonville all were within 6 games of each other, and the divisional race down the stretch was very intriguing. New Orleans ended up winning it in the final week, and they will get the advantage of lining up their pitching for the next round, while Crawdads fans are hoping for a couple of series to go at least 4 games. This division has flown under the radar a bit, but this year showed that the Atlantic is a balanced and tough league that I think will produce a champion in the next 5 years. That might age horribly.

Pikemen Analysis:
The biggest storyline that Rockville had was how the team would respond to Aaron choosing to take the job in Des Moines. Rockville has been a contender for years, and Aaron built this team into a great organization. Jim came in and has by and large kept the machine going, with a couple of changes around the edges. Rockville comes into the playoffs having won 16 games in September, and nearly managed to grab home field from the Gamblers. The biggest strength that the Pikemen have is that they get on base a bunch, and have a fantastic running game. Pitching wise, the bullpen is better than the rotation, and I think the starters need to give 5-6 good innings a game to set up said bullpen. One starter in particular I am looking at is Alan Gray. He was a free agent signing, and when looking at production per dollar he was a pretty astute one. He won 10 games, and has taken a step forward in being a good innings eater and pitched well down the stretch.

Gamblers Analysis:
The Gamblers have one of the better rotations in the Johnson, and it's no surprise why. Flores and Sheppard are the punches at the top of the rotation, and have formed a nice way to start the first two games. Where the problem is for the Gamblers is that their bullpen is very shaky, and ranks near the bottom of the Johnson. If this series is close, then how those relivers fare is going to be a huge talking point. The Gamblers offense is very slugging heavy, and racks up extra base hits in bunches. This team is built to outhit you and get great starting pitching, and will need those two strengths to perform in order to advance.

Prediction:
I have the Pikemen winning in 5. Though this could go either way.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

JimSlade
BBA GM

Re: 2050 BBA Playoffs Geoghegan Preview: Rockville Pikemen vs. Atlantic City Gamblers

Post by JimSlade » Fri May 06, 2022 5:28 pm

Great analysis. I wish your prediction had been right. My starters didn't quite give us what we needed. Leach had his worst game of the year. AC outslugged us all right. I thoroughly enjoyed my first season in the league.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Re: 2050 BBA Playoffs Geoghegan Preview: Rockville Pikemen vs. Atlantic City Gamblers

Post by lordtoffee » Sat May 07, 2022 2:16 pm

JimSlade wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:28 pm
Great analysis. I wish your prediction had been right. My starters didn't quite give us what we needed. Leach had his worst game of the year. AC outslugged us all right. I thoroughly enjoyed my first season in the league.
Thanks, man.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”