GM: Ron Collins

Moderator: RonCo

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

58.063 – Ortíz Changes Course, Wants In

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:42 pm

Off Topic
Veteran Hurler Says He’s Krill to the Gills

September 16, 2058: Forever Land – After spending all season long confirming that he and his agent were firm on their plan to use a near-minsal “show me” deal to pave their way to another pass at the Free Agent market, 33-year-old Francisco Ortíz has brought the ship about and now seems to have his sites on another pass with Bikini.

"Clubhouse" Willing
To Forego FA Riches?
“I like it here,” Ortíz said. “I’ve told my agent that I’m willing to come back now.”

Last year, after suffering through two horrendous seasons with Atlantic City, Ortíz signed a super-cheap $900K contract to pitch for Bikini. The results (9-7, 4.49 ERA/3.56 FIP, 83 FIP-) have been more than positive. One would think that kind of performance would have the veteran and his agent salivating for the next pass at a free agent market that always loves starting pitchers.

But no, the pacific winds seem to have gotten to Ortíz, and now he’s rumored to be willing to give the club a pretty fair home-team discount to stay. “I’d like a raise,” he said to Forever Land Sports Network’s Misty Morgan. “But I can be reasonable.” Insiders close to the pitcher say his turn around is at least partially focused on the idea that the team has acknowledged it would like to upgrade its defense, something that would make his life better.

There’s no word yet on whether the club will work to sign him. While the price is likely going to be to their tastes, there’s a question of Ortíz’s value to the future. He’s 33 now, and given his current state of having posted 3.2 WAR (with a few starts remaining), a reasonable chance exists that if he were to leave for free agency he might will grab the team a compensatory draft pick in next year’s selection process.

“I like Francisco,” said GM Ron Collins in an off-the-cuff interview. “He’s a very good pitcher. This is the first I’ve heard that he’d like to stick around, so we’ll have to take a serious look at it.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Bikini Krill”