58.039 – Barkin Rips Groin, Out For Season

GM: Ron Collins

Moderator: RonCo

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

58.039 – Barkin Rips Groin, Out For Season

Post by RonCo » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:55 pm

Off Topic
Is It Time to Turn the Page on Barkin's Career?

July 4, 2058: Forever Land: Despite being babied with trips to the IL all year, Larry Barkin’s injury plagued 2058 has officially come to an end with, naturally, a devastating tear of his groin. His 2058 season was comprised of 50 games (47 starts), and 158 plate appearances to go along with trips to the IL for a quadriceps strain in April and a combination hamstring strain and knee tendonitis in June. Both of those assignments were made on injuries insiders considered as day-to-day, but also under an abundance of caution.

“Everyone knows Larry is a delicate flower,” a member of the team’s front office said off the record, “so we knew Collins was going to keep him off the field is he wasn’t feeling 100% there. I guess it didn’t help much.”

Barkin will finish drawing the rest of his $13M salary from the Injured List.

“I’m really devastated,” the 35-year-old shortstop said. “I just want to be out there helping my teammates. But it’s a good thing I signed that contract when I did, or where would I be now?” Barkin is due another $13M next season, and has two vesting options that follow, though they will require him to make 120 games.

Is the Door Open For Williams?

Fans are assuming that this means the time is here for rookie Keith Williams to make his presence known. Williams had an unsatisfying month-long trial earlier in the season, but there appears to be no other answer forthcoming beyond perhaps handing the job to journeyman Rich Dares. Most consider that to be disaster movie material, though.

The team has not made any announcement either way, but fans are resigned.

"The writing's on the wall, as far as I'm concerned," said Kai Johalli, a system artist with Misi Gallery in Paris. "This will eventually be Williams's role. Might as well happen now. So I say let Barkin heal up and trade him off for parts. Let's see what the kid can do."
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Bikini Krill”