58.024 – Krill “Rotation By Committee” Seems Effective

GM: Ron Collins

Moderator: RonCo

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

58.024 – Krill “Rotation By Committee” Seems Effective

Post by RonCo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:05 pm

Off Topic
You Get a Start! You Get a Start! You Get a Start!

May 27, 2058: Forever Land: By the raw numbers it may not sound like a lot, but Bikini Krill pitching staff has, as a whole, thrown a 4.40 ERA (11th best in the Frick) and allowed 230 runs (tenth best). Their stuff has not been particularly overwhelming (302 strikeouts sit at next to bottom), but they lead the league in HR stinginess (38 is the least of any team in the Frick league) and do a solid job of keeping guys off the basepaths via the free pass (143 walks is #4 in the Frick).

So it’s a mixed back that looks good mostly by comparing the team to where they were last year, which was … well … you can take our word for it … bad.

Of interest, though, is that rotation members have tossed a 3.82 ERA, good for sixth in the Frick League. And of even more interest is to note that the team has been fielding what is essentially an 8-man rotation, with only “ace” Samuel Nebraska taking normal turns in cycle. Here’s the numbers: In 51 games, the Krill have had ten pitchers take starts.

NameGSIPERERA
Samuel Nebraska SP1056.1264.15
Francisco Ortíz SP942.1153.19
Jayden Nicholls SP838.2153.43
Enrique Aguilar SP838.2204.66
Lúcio Juárez SP734205.29
Norberto García RP426.182.73
John Hurry RP2944.00
Stephen Grant SP13.100.00
Carlos Silva RP1500.00
Theron Muscouri RP1523.60

Samuel Nebraska has been the obvious workhorse, and Free Agent signee Francisco Ortiz and late-2057 addition Jayden Nicholls have been goo in the side car. Enrique Aguilar and Lúcio Juárez have been hot and cold as they’ve transitioned to more swingman-like roles, starting more than they relieve, but serving in both situations as needed.

García Stands Out, But Several Are Contributing

Two-Pitch García
Making His Case
For Rotation Spot
Of more interest is the list that follows, which shows that classic bullpen guys have made nine starts for the team and performed quite well, the standout being lefty Norberto García, who has made four starts, going 2-2 while posting a 2.73 ERA, and including a 96-pitch complete game thrown against Chicago last week. Pundits seem a bit shocked by this, since García throws only two pitches.

Same for lefty Theo Muscouri, who also made a five-inning start against Chicago, and a give up two runs in five innings to score a victory.

Lefty John Hurry has made a couple starts and managed a 4.00 ERA, which is not Earth-shattering, but is still better than the 4.05 league average in the pitching-laden Frick.

Low stamina lefty, Carlos Silva had made a solid 5-inning start against Valencia before getting injured. He threw five shutout innings to gain a 3-0 victory for himself. He had been slated to start another game, but suffered bone chips instead.

And, finally, lefty Stephen Grant (a Rule 5 acquisition last year) was called up to make a spot-start, also against Valencia. The popular pitcher lasted only 3.1 innings and 65 pitches, but he held the Stars scoreless on two hits and a pair of walks and the Krill went home victorious.

How Long Will the Effort Last?

This approach has come with certain downsides, not the least of which is that the rest of the bullpen gets a bit more stretched than maybe you’d like to see. With 51 games under their belt, the team seems to be on a path to have four other relievers see 100+ innings (Shea Valance is at 29.1, Cliff Crudge has thrown 35 innings, Hurry (when adding in his starts) stands at 34.2, and Adrian Fox 33.1.

“I understand that,” said GM Ron Collins. “Sometimes we look a little gassed. But I’ve got to say that everyone seems pretty happy with it. The guys want to pitch, and we’re finding ways to get them onto the hill. Beyond that, and I mean this with due respect to every arm on our roster, it’s not like Dave Corfield is coming through that Door anytime soon. Sure, I’m always going to try to get more resources down to the field, but I’m really happy with how Richard and Fernando (manager Richard Lawson and pitching coach Fernando Alaniz) are mixing it up. Those guys are doing a lot with what we’ve got.”

Sounds like fans can look forward to even more “Rotation by Committee” in the future.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 58.024 – Krill “Rotation By Committee” Seems Effective

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:58 pm

I did something like this last season and it works but is just a head ache to always get guys rested.I had had times where relievers were too tired to start of relieve and I'd have to adjust their substitution % in their strategy.
ImageImageImageImageImage

joshd19
BBA GM

Post by joshd19 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:54 pm

I honestly don't see the upside to this if you're not dealing with injuries. I go with the 5 guys I'm most confident in, and if I lose confidence in one, he's almost certainly not starting again this season
GM, Des Moines Kernels, 2058-
GM, London Monarchs, 2057 (Denny's & Marko Worldwide Champs)
Esteemed extreme ironing coach & practitioner, GEICO, 2046-2056

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm

joshd19 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:54 pm
I honestly don't see the upside to this if you're not dealing with injuries. I go with the 5 guys I'm most confident in, and if I lose confidence in one, he's almost certainly not starting again this season
Mostly I'm looking to gain platoon advantage in favorable matchups.
Roster

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:15 pm

I wonder if stretching out Silva lead to his injury and how much the bullpen ineffectiveness is a result of this maneuver. It might cancel itself out if your 7th and 8th best relievers are throwing more innings than they would otherwise. Looks fun though :)
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:33 pm

It's possible, but he was already fragile with a history, and both old and cheap, so I figured I was just going to use him until he broke. He did have a few bullpen outings before he got hurt, though.
Roster

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:48 pm

Many times I've been in the situation of having a player that just pitches better as a starter or reliever. Sometimes the split is huge, but it's also consistent not only in a season but over their career. I can't think of what metrics would predict this in a guy. My guess is the shorter outings of pitching as a reliever means they're more likely to face their splits than navigating 5 or more innings (so a guy pitching from the 'pen may face 3 RHP and 1 LHP and they pitching markedly better vs RHP).

But I've had what I can only consider "mental block" where a guy thrives in one spot but not the other. Maybe more leverage out of the 'pen? A great example of the case is a guy on my roster right now Toshikuni Kubo. He's been with Boise for years, is a lefty (but not a LOOGY) when I absolutely need (or think) 1 or 2 in my rotation, and I'm paying him (now) $6m. He has the profile of a 3-4 starter and I've tried to push him into that spot many times in recent seasons (including this year and you can see the resulting splits):

Maybe him being a flyball pitcher while topping out at 98 means there are more chances for him to surrender dingers, but his career 0.9 HR/9 and this season 0.8 HR/9 doesn't indicate what I've sometimes seen in flyball guys. In any case, I've tried yet again to cram him into the rotation this season and you can see the results. Hence, he becomes a LH bullpen fixture by default which can limit what I might want to do with other players. I'm sure you would see some ugly numbers from Kubo in a pitching by committee strategy, but overlook how good he really is just limited to the 'pen.
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:00 pm

I used to do to this a lot. The stupid Manfrid rule about only being able to option players 3 times in a season killed it for me.

I would find niche AAA players that would match up well against specific teams. Like if I did it now I would find a 15/2/8 pitcher that I would call up everytime I played Sacramento(Cause they have great contact hitters with no power). Or a lefty with outstanding movement to pitch in Louisville's short porch.

Before the rule change you could cycle them back to AAA and have your bullpen stay steady and rested.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Bikini Krill”