GM: Ron Collins

Moderator: RonCo

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

58.005– Shea Valance Is Walking Through That Door

Post by RonCo » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:22 pm

Off Topic
Merry Christmas to Bikini! Veteran Reliver Joins Krill

December 24, 2057: Forever Land – It was the day before Christmas and all through the atoll, word was spreading that Shea Valance might be Bikini’s new ace in the hole.

A short while later, Santa came and confirmed the buzz. Valance signed a deal that could run four seasons and pay the veteran reliever $17M plus some performance bonuses. The agreement was a bit of a surprise to many, who saw the Krill as mostly a bottom feeder in the Free Agent market this year, but it should be noted that the club has been indicating they might be a bit stronger of a player in the process than first thought. “We’re not destitute like we were last year,” GM Ron Collins said at the league’s Winter Meetings last season. “But we know we need to be choosey about how we’re spending what we have.”

The deal is front-loaded to take advantage of the Krill's year-over-year cash flow situation, and includes a pair of relatively cheap team options that will most likely he executed if Valance remains healthy.

For his part, Valance is excited. “Forever Land is just an amazing place to play baseball. My family is totally stoked, and I’m hoping I might be able to find my way back into a rotation for a bit.” Valance went on to say he’d had several offers from other teams, but chose Bikini’s because it was both competitive and direct. “I told Ron (Collins) that I was interested in starting, and rather than beat around the bush he said he’d leave the decisions on how I got used to be between me and Fernando (Pitching Coach Fernando Alaniz). I think Fernando is a great baseball guy. So we’ll work it out. Either way, I’m excited to join the team.”

Baseball people immediately noted that Valance, should he remain in the bullpen, will join right handers Cliff Crudge and Adrian Fox in the Krill relief corps, which would make a lot of things look better. Crudge was the lone arm of quality from the right side early last season, and many insiders seem to think he was over-extended in the team's quest to throw him into every situation they could. Fox came in later in the year, and threw 23 innings with the team, posting a 3.09 ERA during that time. Though considered a bit of a medical concern, Valance threw 70 injury-free innings last season (split between a disastrous period in San Fernando an a brilliant 2.42 ERA stint in Long Beach). If Valance becomes the top RH reliever in the pen, that takes pressure off Crudge, and also could allow Fox (who is also an injury concern despite never having been seriously hurt before) addition rest between uses.

If lottery ticket Ralph Page recovers well from the injury that kept him out all last season, that would be a very nice stocking stuffer indeed.

The left-handed side of the bullpen is maybe not as flashy, but with Norberto Garcia, Theron Muscouri, and late-season addition Carlos Silva, can be particularly tough on left-handed batters.

“It’s our hope that the swarm in the Krill bullpen will be Kool Skool once again,” Collins said.

So far, so good.

Merry Christmas Earth’s Team fans. And to all a good night!
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

7teen
BBA GM

Re: 58.005– Shea Valance Is Walking Through That Door

Post by 7teen » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:10 pm

We offered Shea. Not sure what the offer was though but dont' think it matched yours.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:47 pm

Maybe he'll get to .500 in the Atoll.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:38 pm

Let’s hope he pitches up to his old standards every time he visits San Fernando.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Bikini Krill”