GM: Ron Collins

Moderator: RonCo

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

57.099– KRILL PROSPECT BEAT: Mitchell Cook

Post by RonCo » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:54 am

Off Topic
Travelblog of Thom S. Hunter

Editor’s Note: Dammit. Far as I can tell this idiot idea of a beat reporter is going to stick. Guess he’s got low friends in high places. Or at least high friends. And I like to eat, and I got a wife and three kids (that I know of) who need clothes and sneakers. So I got nothing to do but to let the guy write whatever he writes. Good luck reading it. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

August 16, 2057: Ogden – The Goon and I got to town in enough time to watch the last few games of a team that won 26 games in the Rookie Ball season. Talk about cold, hard time. Even the girls quit on most of them, which is saying a lot. At least the Goon turns out to be a pretty good travel partner in that he’s fine with going down to get the beer so long as I wave Westy’s magic money cube in his face.

I got here to check in on the Odgen Duck’s … er … Oden Thunder Duck’s two top prospects.

This write up is on the shortstop, one New Zealander name of Mitchell “Vodak” Cook. The kid turned 19 in April and made his pro debut this year after being promoted from the international complex this spring.

First, let’s look at the basics. This is the data feed the Bikini data jockeys sent along:

LVLPlayer NamePOSBTOVRPOTConPGapPPowPEyePAvKPConGapPowEyeAvK
6-RMitchell CookSSRR20558675532221
SourceAgeHtWtSPDSTERUNCABCARIFRIFEIFATDPOFROFEOFA
Disc196'0"165431118686357

Bottom line, the kid’s supposed to hit a little and field a little, which as far as the Krill are concerned makes him look like the second coming of Angel Zalapa.

Let me cut to the chase, though. He ain’t.

Not that Mr. Cook wasn’t interesting to look into as a ballplayer. First off, I think we can all agree the nickname is Primo. Endorsements should roll in. That he’s almost old enough to drink it probably helps.

So, how did young Mr. Mitchell do, you say? What was his first season in the pros like, and should we care? Answer’s a mixed bag.

- - -
OFFENSIVELY the kid had moments, but they were a little too few and a little too far between to plant a flag and declare any future Pucketts might come his way The numbers: 6 HR, 9 doubles, .244/.270/.398, were nothing to write back to the New Plymouth farm with. The power numbers were pretty fair, though, if he can keep those up and grow the hit tool a bit, maybe he’ll be a good minor league hitter. Right now, though, he needs more, um, Cook-ing.

His .646/.705 OPS platoon splits were a little large, but sample size is sample size. That the good side and say his performance against lefties was almost interesting.

Did I mention the kid can’t run? Not a major issue, I suppose. But he can’t and he didn’t.

- - -
DEFENSIVELY Cook’s glove, which scouts say might eventually move him off short and onto second, was actually pretty solid for the level. He did a 2.1 ZR for the limited schedule, and that plays. Seems to have a knack for positioning, but his 8 errors need to be cleaned up a little.

Jury is out, but so far, so good.

- - -
DEVELOPMENT: On the whole, the kid seems grounded for a 19-year-old, but then look who’s talking, right? When I was 19 I was out drinking with Melinda Hightower and racing EV scooters on Miscatawny Bridge. Look where I wound up? Pretty good, eh? At least I got a Goon getting my beer now.

Anyway, his teammates seem to like him, and he seems like a good enough guy. Maybe a little full of himself, but he’s a shortstop prospect, right?

As far as his year in Ogden is concerned, he’s picked up three or four pounds and coaches say he’s made good strides with both putting the bat on the ball and chasing it down. Internally the team seems to have upgraded their viewpoints of his plate discipline, as well as his ability to get the ball into the gap (hence the doubles noted above).

Overall, his development seems to be right in line with expectations, but I’d like to see more of it translate to the field next season.

- - -
2058 Projection: I’d suggest Cook take a second pass at Rookie ball to start the season, with an eye toward promotion if the June numbers look good.

GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Re: 57.099– KRILL PROSPECT BEAT: Mitchell Cook

Post by jiminyhopkins » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:57 am

Might need a chaperone for this guy when he plays at Third Fifth Field in Toledo
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Bikini Krill”