Long Beach Press-Telegram - Player of the Month Sweep!

GM: Stephen Lane

Moderator: Lane

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Long Beach Press-Telegram - Player of the Month Sweep!

Post by jcrmoon42 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:11 pm

It has been a long time coming, but the Surfers finally have some superstars. Al Jones and Roo Schmidt won the FL Batter and Pitcher of the Month Awards for the month of April, 2006.

Jones, the #1 overall pick in 2001, is in his fourth big league season and has gotten progressively better each year. He has even won two of the last three Zimmer Awards in right field and has played huge in the outfield this year as well, showing big time range and a dependable glove. At the plate, he hit .374 with 12 bombs and an amazing 36 RBI for the month. He has slowed down a little in May but still leads the MBWBA with 46 RBI on the season.

Schmidt, himself a #1 overall pick they year before Jones, took a little longer to be big league ready and is already 28 and only in his third big league season. Still, he seems to be making up for lost time, leading the MBWBA in the Triple Crown categories for all pitchers. He went 5-1 in April, with his lone loss being an 8 inning performance against Carolina which the Surfers lost 3-2. He only allowed 33 hits and 11 walks while striking out 49 in 48 innings. Perhaps his greatest strength was keeping the ball in the park as he has only allowed two homers on the season, both during that fantastic April. May looks even better to this point if that is possible.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Long Beach Press-Telegram - Player of the Month Sweep!

Post by recte44 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:39 pm

As it should be. Your long patience is paying off in a big way. You've created the blueprint for the long struggling teams who claim that rebuilding teams can never break through.

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Post by jcrmoon42 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks, Recte. It has taken long enough. I could do with some more winning about now, though. :)

salas
Ex-GM

Post by salas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:57 pm

recte44 wrote:As it should be. Your long patience is paying off in a big way. You've created the blueprint for the long struggling teams who claim that rebuilding teams can never break through.
It certainly helps that his 2 #1s actually developed, unlike some others who have either failed to develop fully or developed and then lost half their control rating completely out of the blue. I'm looking at you, Alberto Rivera and Nathan Campbell. Don't give me that surprised look, you know what I'm talking about.

Damn slackers.

:pickles:

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:41 pm

With Schmidt, Jones, Guzman, Carver, et al you are primed for quite a few good years! Man, you had a rough go of it from '98 until '03 though... 6 seasons in a row with at least 100 losses... with 96 and 91 losses the 2 years leading up to it. Here's to 6 years of 100+ wins in a row!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Post by jcrmoon42 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:03 pm

Yeah, Man. They were rought, but I think that's where an element of patience comes in. I was willing to just suck it up and deal for a few years while letting guys grow in the minors. I've got a couple more coming up who might be better than the guys I have in the bigs now, but they need a little more time to make sure they are ready.

Alberto Rivera was mine too! I drafted him and couldn't sign him. Dr. Focus indeed!

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:04 pm

salas wrote:
recte44 wrote:As it should be. Your long patience is paying off in a big way. You've created the blueprint for the long struggling teams who claim that rebuilding teams can never break through.
It certainly helps that his 2 #1s actually developed, unlike some others who have either failed to develop fully or developed and then lost half their control rating completely out of the blue. I'm looking at you, Alberto Rivera and Nathan Campbell. Don't give me that surprised look, you know what I'm talking about.

Damn slackers.

He didn't draft a first baseman and a relief pitcher, either. :)
:orly:

salas
Ex-GM

Post by salas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 pm

recte44 wrote:
salas wrote:

Damn slackers.

He didn't draft a first baseman and a relief pitcher, either. :)
:orly:

So much for subscribing to the "draft the most talented player available theory"!! Of course, the 5 minutes spent on advance scouting probably didn't help...I think I drafted Rivera at Sean's house just before we left to catch opening day in Detroit last year. Good times.

Anyway, kudos to Moonie. Patience and planning do pay off, for sure. Wish I had some patience myself!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”