Moderator: Lane

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2057.04 - The Long Beach Independent - Spring Training Report

Post by Lane » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:49 pm

FIFTY SURFERS AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF KRILL

February 25, 2057
Catalina Island, CA

When the team yacht is spotted at the docks in Catalina, you know it's time for spring training. As the team has not yet installed a Come Together Door for the facility, team brass arrived on the island in their usual manner, with fifty players arriving via private air and the long-running Catalina Express.

Free agent signee Ralph Boyd arrived via helicopter this morning with his family, and told reporters that he asked the pilot for a tour of some of the southern California coast along the way, as he seeks a place to live for the 2057 season and beyond.

Another new pitcher, socal native Joe Walter made his way to the island on his modest private boat: "I'm thrilled to be back home. Growing up in Garden Grove I was a huge fan of the Surfers, pretty sure there's a photo of me about three years old in a Surfers outfit, watching them in the 2029 championship series. I'm excited to help the team win another Monty this year."

Walter joins a bullpen that is largely unchanged from last season, though it's likely that one or two pitchers that are normally seen as starters will be joining him. The team has big decisions ahead about the starting rotation, as it appears that there are seven pitchers that will be making their case for a spot.

Mitchell Purssell is also in camp, but the early returns indicate no improvement over recent reports from offseason scouting. It would be a surprise to see him break camp with the club.

In another surprise move, first base prospect Bill Kuhn has arrived to the camp and looks to get some time in with the big league coaching staff before returning to the minor leagues for the regular season.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”