Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2044.05 - The Long Beach Independent - 2044 Amateur Draft News

Post by Lane » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:32 am

SURFERS GRAB TWO PITCHERS IN ROUND ONE

Gary Tinstaap

June 1, 2044
Long Beach, CA

The Surfers held the 5th overall pick in the 2044 BBA Amateur draft. This is likely the last time we see the team in the top 10 picks, as they're off to a great start this season, and are projected to be a playoff team for the first time since 2040.

This years draft was regarded as middle-of-the-road, with some decent high end talent, and okay depth.

Here's something I wrote a couple years ago that still applies today:
I know as well as you do that Long Beach is in desperate need of a quality middle infielder, specifically a shortstop. However, there just aren't any to be found in this draft class, and trust me when I say I looked.
While there was, again, no star quality SS available in the first round, (sorry Patenaude, you're a 2B) the Surfers did grab a second baseman.

Anyway, here's how I grade the Surfers picks in Rounds 1 and 2.

Round/Overall: 1/5
RH SP/RP Del Willis
Current: 5/6/6
Potential: 9/7/6
Fastball: 8/10
Splitter: 7/10
Curveball: 4/6
Velocity: 99-101

Willis, 22, was originally drafted as a reliever by Atlantic City in the 2040 draft, as as the 5th overall pick. He failed to sign with the Gamblers, and went to college instead. He spent his freshman year as a reliever, but became a starter for his last 3 years at Chevrolet. Unbeknownst to BBA evaluators, he had been working on a curveball and it brought him great success in his junior and senior seasons. After an April workout day for BBA scouts, his curveball was given a 4/6 rating and he skyrocketed up draft boards.

A power pitcher with a 3/4 delivery, his fastball sits in the high 90s and he's been known to hit 101 at times. A mid-90s splitter allows him to keep the ball on the ground, and despite his mediocre stamina, the Surfers see him as a top of the rotation starter within the next couple of seasons. At the very least, he could be a high-leverage reliever as early as 2045.

OFP: 75 - #2 Starter
Likely: 60 - High-Leverage Reliever
BBA ETA: 2046

2B Lyndon Sheldrake
B/T: R/R
Current: 3/4/3/5/4
Potential: 6/7/3/5/8
IF Range: 6
IF Error: 9
IF Arm: 3
TDP: 7

With the 55th overall pick in the second round, the Surfers picked infielder Lyndon Sheldrake, a second baseman out of high school. There's nothing that really stands out about Sheldrake, but he could turn into a competent infielder at the BBA level. A line-drive hitter, he projects to have enough gap power to be a contributor in a BBA lineup. His arm will hold him back, but he could play 3B or LF in a pinch, in addition to his natural position at the keystone.

OFP: 55 - 1st Division Utility IF
Likely: 45 - 2nd Division 2B
BBA ETA: 2047

The prize here is certainly Willis, and he's definitely exciting. He's already ahead of 2043 first rounder Frank Walbourne on my prospects list, and with improvement in movement and/or control, he could easily look like a 1B Ace to complement Danya Tchekanov in a couple of seasons.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”