Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2042.03 - Offseason Roundup - The Long Beach Independent

Post by Lane » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:33 pm

FA MISSTEP RESULTS IN QUIET OFFSEASON

Manager Carousel Continues to Turn

February 16, 2042
Long Beach, CA

It wasn't exactly a star-studded Free Agent class, so although the Surfers had some money to spend, we're not all too surprised that no big names were signed. One potential area of need however, was the shortstop position. With Voitto Stromberg appearing to be the best available, and with his demands being within budget, Surfers fans got excited when there were rumors early in the FA period that the team was targeting the veteran righty.

However, on the last day of 2041, the Phoenix Talons swooped in and signed Strombergt to what is essentially a 3 year deal for just under $12 million. Team sources who requested to remain anonymous reported that top Surfers management made an error in their submission of a contract offer through the BBA's proprietary software. Another team employee said that they "just missed the deadline, simple as that" and were prepared to offer a "much more generous" contract.

At this point, what's done is done, and this offseason also brought us another new manager for the team. It was just last May when Felix Ortega was brought in as the skipper, touted as someone who was willing to work with the vision of the front office. At the time he was hired, the team was 23-23, and as we all know they ended up finishing 22 games under .500. We're not saying that Ortega is a scapegoat, but we're not not saying that.

Writing up the lineups for 2042 (at least, on opening day) will be sixty-one-year-old Canadian Denis Charette. A former pitcher for the Hawaii franchise, he's managed in the EBA, the BBA, and various minor league levels. He won the Manager of the Year award with the Brooklyn Robins in 2027, leading them to a division win and a 98-64 record.

He's known for his highly tactical managerial style, and likes to change pitchers just about as often as the Surfers management like to change managers (that is to say, quite often). Long Beach must have viewed him as the best, and perhaps only manager that they wanted this offseason, as they broke the bank with a 5 year contract that will pay Charette $1.75 million annually.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: 2042.03 - Offseason Roundup - The Long Beach Independent

Post by ae37jr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:05 am

Denis Charette's son Mike is currently playing for Brooklyn. I would trade him to Long Beach for the story but he is kinda important to us.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:29 am

ae37jr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:05 am
Denis Charette's son Mike is currently playing for Brooklyn. I would trade him to Long Beach for the story but he is kinda important to us.
Good to know! Looks like he'll have a much longer BBA Car career than his dad.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:46 am

Pretty quiet offseason

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 am

recte44 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:46 am
Pretty quiet offseason
Yeah, I didn't have a lot that I wanted to do. I really did want to grab Stromberg, but Flores was out of my budget and I didn't see many other opportunities to improve the team right now.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”