Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2042.02 - The Long Beach Independent - FPL Pitching Has Potential

Post by Lane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:35 pm

TOP PITCHING PROSPECTS SHOWCASED

Gary Tintstaap reporting from the Florida Prospect League

November 22, 2042
West Palm Beach, Florida

It’s the offseason again, and that means it’s time for the Florida Prospect League, where the teams of the BBA send their most promising young talent for some extra development in the Florida sunshine.

This year’s collection of Surfers is the best in perhaps a decade or more, at least on the pitching side. Starting pitching prospects Mathieu Valette, Ernesto Delgado, and the recently acquired Jorge Alfaro headline the rotation, while reliever Luis Manuel Rodriguez is the highlight of a bullpen that includes a number of intriguing names.

Alfaro, acquired from the Calgary Pioneers has been sent to the FPL with clear instructions to work on his changeup. Currently it’s rated at 5/9 by BBA scouts, and the Surfers are hoping to avoid the dreaded “trouble with the chage” curse that afflicts many a young would-be-starter. He otherwise appears ready for the big leagues, and with the exception of his just average control, looks very much like the type of pitcher we’re used to seeing under the Lane regime

Helping Alfaro with his changeup, while he puts some polish on his own stuff will be another righty, Ernesto Delgado. His changeup is off the charts, rated as 11/11 by scouts, and he recently added a forkball to his repertoire. He’s another pitcher that fits the Long Beach mold, throwing a lot of ground balls and limiting home runs.

To round out the rotation hopefuls, we have Mathieu Valette. He’s yet another righty, and though he comes from the same draft class as Delgado, his development is lagging behind just a bit. Nevertheless, scouts think that his secondary and tertiary pitches are just fine. He’ll be looking to work on his fastball, which he throws in the high 90s but struggles with location from time to time.

Speaking of 2038 draftees, the headliner in the bullpen is Luis Manuel Rodriguez. He’s 20 years old, and throws a fastball and a curveball. He’s got potentials of 10/9/5 and if he reaches those, he could be one of the top relievers in the league. Unlike most Surfers relievers, he doesn’t have extreme lefty/righty splits, so we're expecting big things from this youngster.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

7teen
BBA GM

Re: 2042.02 - The Long Beach Independent - FPL Pitching Has Potential

Post by 7teen » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 am

Nice looking group of young guys....

Your pitching guys look a lot like some of mine. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around guys with 7s and 8s are going to be good after being here so long with guys with 8s and 9s from top to bottom. But the last few drafts are making these types of guys look like upper end rotation guys in a few seasons.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: 2042.02 - The Long Beach Independent - FPL Pitching Has Potential

Post by Lane » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:00 am

Thanks! Yeah, it's still tough sometimes to properly judge the ratings. If Alfaro and Valette develop, I think I will have a good enough staff to get back into competition for division titles pretty quickly.

And speaking of drafts, if Delgado and Valette work out... That's a game changer as far as my drafting/development strategy goes. Could really help with these "down" draft classes.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”