2037.08 - The Long Beach Independent - CarGo Returns!

GM: Stephen Lane

Moderator: Lane

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2037.08 - The Long Beach Independent - CarGo Returns!

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 pm

SUPERSTAR OUTFIELDER RETURNS VIA TRADE

July 23, 2037
Long Beach, CA

So far in 2037, the Surfers have been their usual streaky selves. The new offensive core of Sloan Daniel and Michael Best have been chugging along, and Fernando Moreno and Mark Simpson have started to come out of their early season slumps. There's been something missing though.

And no, we're not talking about J.J. McQuade's bat...at least not today.

Despite the outfield being crowded, there's been a CarGo sized hole. Power numbers have been down, and the clubhouse just hasn't quite come together. Until today, that is.

Sources inside the organization say that GM Stephen Lane didn't hesitate to pick up the phone to Boise when rumors started swirling about the new front office being interested in moving Carlos Gonzales. A deal was done within hours, with Long Beach shipping off Pedro Holguin from the BBA roster and Gui Jen from in the international complex. Boise agreed to retain 50% of Gonzales' salary, and just like that he was a Surfer again.

Gonzales had the following to say upon arrival at LGB: "I'm thrilled to be back. Boise was a great experience, and my family loved it, but I'm so happy to be back with the Surfers. I mean, this is where I was drafted, this is where I won the Landis. I love this team and this city."

Carlos wasted no time in bringing his power to the Long Beach lineup, hitting .400/.400/1.240 with 6 HR in his first six games. Pundits across the league have lambasted the prior management of Boise for signing a left handed power hitter to play in a park that destroys left handed power hitters. Playing the second half in Long Beach should give him a chance to reach the 30 HR mark for the fifth straight season. He's currently at 334 HR for his career, and his return should all but guarantee that he reaches 400 by the end of his current contract (guaranteed through 2039).

Of note is that he's played exclusively left field, after being a right fielder for all but his first cup of coffee with Long Beach in 2028. At 32 years of age, he's slowed down a bit and doesn't have the range that he had in his twenties. With the arrival of 2036 draftee Carl von Meister, Tom Kazansky has shifted to RF and is doing an exceptional job with a +2.8 ZR in 51 starts this season.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: 2037.08 - The Long Beach Independent - CarGo Returns!

Post by agrudez » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:11 am

His wife seemed pissed about it, though.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 pm

She must be having an affair with some potato picker. Cause I mean really, Why would you pick Boise over Long Beach? We need a team news explaining this madness.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:25 am

To be honest, I’d rather live in Idaho than LA...
All that traffic...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”