Moderator: Lane

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2037.06 - The Long Beach Independent - Amateur Draft Round 1 Recap

Post by Lane » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:31 pm

SURFERS GO BAT, ARM, BAT IN FIRST ROUND

June 1, 2037
Long Beach, CA

The Surfers held the 23rd overall pick in the first round this season as calculated by the Brewster's three year draft pick weighting system. In the supplemental portion of the first round, they had the second and seventh picks as compensation for the departures of Carlos Gonzales (now with Boise) and reliever Dillon Young (now with Hawaii). This year's draft is as deep or deeper than last year's, so there's a lot to dream on with the three players selected by Long Beach.

The Independent's lead prospect writer Gary Tinstaap provides his report cards below.

(NB: OFP = Overall Future Potential, rated 10-100)

Round/Overall: 1/23
OF, LHB Cris Martinez
Current:4/3/3/3/4
Potential: 8/9/10/6/6
OF Range: 5
OF Error: 5
OF Arm: 10
TDP: 5

Martinez is a diminutive lefty with a cannon for an arm, and a bazooka for a bat. A right fielder in high school, he'll likely be moved to left field as a professional. There's also a chance he sees some time at third base, but with no experience there, it would be a long shot for him to pick it up quickly. Known as a hard worker who keeps his head down in the clubhouse, Martinez is not likely to cause any trouble. The combination of contact and power will be welcome in a Surfers organization that has been uncharacteristically short on power over the past few seasons. At just 17, Martinez is young, but fairly well developed. We would anticipate seeing him join Rookie League Key West, and from there his performance and development will guide his promotions.

OFP: 60 - First Division LF
Likely: 40 - Second Division DH
BBA ETA: 2041

Round/Overall: 1A/35
RH SP Francisco Franco
Current: 4/4/4
Potential: 8/7/9
Cutter: 5/8
Curveball: 4/9
Changeup: 4/4
Velo: 93-95

The Surfers drafted another fairly well developed 17 year old with their first pick in the supplemental first round. At 6'3'' 180 lbs, Franco has some filling out to do, and scouts anticipate that his velocity could approach the high 90's in the future. His mediocre changeup likely kept him on the board this long, but I don't think it will be too much of an impediment. Better a 4/4 changeup than a 1/9 changeup that never develops, I say. Signability could be another concern for Franco, as he is known for his intelligence and has strongly indicated that he prefers to go to college rather than making the jump to pro ball out of high school. This could be a problem for the Surfers, as they would not receive compensation next year if they don't sign him. However, the team has plenty of cash on hand, and after being shut out of the IFA signings this season, there should be plenty of motivation to open the pocketbook to sign this young righty.

OFP: 70 - Mid-rotation starter
Likely: 60 - High leverage reliever

Round/Overall: 1/40
C, LHB Juan Velez
Current: 3/3/3/3/4
Potential: 7/9/7/6/6
C Ability: 8
C Arm: 5

Juan Velez is a 6' tall lefty hitting righty throwing catcher from Panama. Scouts rave about his receiving ability, which is outstanding for an 18 year old, though they say his arm could use some improving. The Surfers have often dipped into the catcher well in the first round of the draft, with mixed success. As a lefty batter, Velez looks to be someone who could find a regular spot in the BBA lineup if he reaches his development potential. As for signability, it doesn't look like it'll be easy, but rumors are that he does prefer pro ball to college.

OFP: 70 - First Division C
Likely: 60 - Second Division C

The amateurs picked in the first round all hold the promise of being future big league contributors. I admit that it would have been nice to see the team pick another pitcher or two, but the GMs in the first half of the first round were extremely aggressive in picking the top pitching prospects. It'll be up to GM Stephen Lane to continue to restock the Surfers pitching staff be it through trades or free agent signings.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: 2037.06 - The Long Beach Independent - Amateur Draft Round 1 Recap

Post by recte44 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Love Franco, almost went with him with my first round pick.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: 2037.06 - The Long Beach Independent - Amateur Draft Round 1 Recap

Post by Lane » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:28 pm

recte44 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 pm
Love Franco, almost went with him with my first round pick.
I was happy to grab him there. Definitely wish I could have gotten one of the better SPs with my first pick but I think Franco was good value.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”