Moderator: Lane

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2036.28 - The Long Beach Independent - A Week in Minneapolis

Post by Lane » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:31 pm

SURFERS MAKE THE BEST OF EXTENDED STAY IN TWC
October 5, 2036
Minneapolis, Minnesota

The Surfers’ charter to Seattle this morning is more crowded than usual, with the addition of spouses, children and significant others that had joined the club in Minneapolis. Due to the extension of the “regular” regular season to facilitate make up games in Mexico City, game 163 was played five days after the Surfers beat the River Monsters in game 162.

Family members that were not already traveling for the series were invited to join the club for the four off-days in the Twin Cities metro area. A few players were granted leave to return home during the layoff, but the vast majority opted to stay and participate in the daily workouts at beautiful Land O’ Lakes ballpark.

Twin Cities management, and GM Scott Piccoli in particular were very gracious in allowing full use of the facilities to the visiting Surfers. “They’ve got a really great indoor cage setup here. I’m not a fan of this cold weather, but this ballpark is very comfortable” noted catcher Jesus Ayala, who took extra swings in the cages most days. “Jesus is a hard worker,” said right fielder and game 163 star Carlos Gonzales, “I think he may be the only guy that spends more time in the cage than me.”

Despite their age difference, Costa Rica natives Ayala and Gonzales have become good friends. The friendship extended beyond the ballplayers this week, as Gonzales’ wife and Ayala’s girlfriend bonded over shopping trips to the famous Mall Of America in Bloomington. “It’s amazing” remarked Ms. Gonzales, “they have all my favorites and then some. Don’t tell Carlos, but I think I just spent his entire playoff share!”

The mood boarding the plane this morning was jovial but muted, with the team happy to be advancing, but knowing that they are about to face a tough opponent in the 96-win Seattle Storm, Frick League Frontier division champions.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2036.28 - The Long Beach Independent - A Week in Minneapolis

Post by RonCo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Long Beach and Seattle will be a tough series.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”