Moderator: Lane

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2036.21 - The Long Beach Independent - McHone Succeeding as Starter

Post by Lane » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:19 pm

MCHONE EXCELLING IN ROTATION OPPORTUNITY

June 12, 2036
Long Beach, CA

It was a quiet clubhouse this evening following the Surfers’ 12-3 loss to the Yellow Springs Nine, their third straight. The bats were quiet again and the bullpen had a rare off day. Lost in the aftermath of the Nine’s late-game offensive explosion was another excellent starting effort from Lee McHone.

The 28-year-old righty has now made five starts since the end of May when he was placed in the rotation due to injuries and ineffectiveness. When he broke into the league in 2031 with Nashville he was primarily a full-time starter, and since the trade with Long Beach he’s been primarily a reliever, making as many as 19 starts in 2034.

He’s prone to fits of wildness, but when he keeps the walks under control like he did today, he can have great success. He struck out 5 Nine, and allowed only one free pass in his 5 innings of work. He did allow 3 runs on 7 hits, but it was enough to keep the game close before he handed the game to the bullpen. Over his five starts he’s posted a 3.00 ERA with a high but not too harmful for him BB/9 of 4.5.

“I’m happy with whatever role the team needs me in on any given day” said the Texan, with a hint of southern drawl, “It’s just such an honor to be on a BBA roster; I consider myself lucky every day.”

With Allain Jolivet returning to the rotation for the first time in 2036, it looked for a moment like McHone might move back to the bullpen. Another injury to Mike Bailey seems likely to give him at least one more turn.

“Watson (Mark Watson, now with Wichita) and I used to joke that together we’d be the perfect pitcher. He’s someone I really learned from here, about preparing for the swingman role, and always being ready for whatever the team needs.”

Surely the Surfer’s front office appreciates the pitchers like McHone. They’ve not been shy about building depth on the 40 man roster, and flexible players like Lee certainly make their job easier.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”