Moderator: Lane

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2036.08 - The Long Beach Independent - Surprises Behind the Plate

Post by Lane » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:30 pm

BASAGLIA BACK, BUMS TO AAA

March 31, 2018
Long Beach, CA

In a shocking turn of events, the Long Beach front office has shaken up the catcher position for Opening Day. Last year's platoon of Jesus Ayala and Peadar McIihome are on a bus to Santa Fe, where they will have time to think about their poor performance in 2035 and this spring training.

With California declining his 2036 team option, Ippolito Basaglia found himself a free agent for the first time. The Surfers, seeing his price continue to fall, made a last minute decision to bring him on board with a 1 year, $3MM deal. As has been the case for most of his career, Basaglia will mostly see time against left handed pitching. Even so, he was worth 1.3 WAR last year in just 111 plate appearances.

For Ayala and McIihome,they are still young enough to bounce back. Ayala is very similar to Basaglia, but struggled last season, not even hitting lefties up to league average. With McIihome, his defense remained solid, but hit hitting took a significant step back in 2035 from the previous year.

On the strong side of the platoon to start the year, it will be Ray Carter. The lefty batter had a strong spring, but has never really been much with the bat. We imagine that one of Iihome or Ayala will be up before the end of the month to replace Carter after he inevitably disappoints.

Also lurking in AAA is William Parker a right handed bat with significant pop. He hit 4 home runs over 20 starts in Long Beach last year, and could be a contender to return. Holding him back is subpar receiving skills compared to the other four catchers he's in competition with.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: 2036.08 - The Long Beach Independent - Surprises Behind the Plate

Post by Ted » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:39 pm

His option was for next year and 2037. I actually bought them AND this year out, which is why he was in FA so late. I wanted to keep him, but his option put me over the cap for next year, and so I couldn't sign any extensions during this year. When I did my cursory checks on 4 or 5 players, their demands were just too damn good to pass up. So I ponied up the cash. It hurts, but it will be worth it in the long run. Thought you might snag him.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Despite you being a division rival, I hope he puts up a 4 win season so I can berate everyone for not trading me a bag of balls for him because 10 million was apparently much for a one year rental (which it would be if he's a sub two win catcher).
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Ted wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:39 pm
His option was for next year and 2037. I actually bought them AND this year out, which is why he was in FA so late. I wanted to keep him, but his option put me over the cap for next year, and so I couldn't sign any extensions during this year. When I did my cursory checks on 4 or 5 players, their demands were just too damn good to pass up. So I ponied up the cash. It hurts, but it will be worth it in the long run. Thought you might snag him.
I thought it felt early for him to be back!

I would have preferred to not have to grab him, but despite 7/7/8/5/8 ratings v LHP, Ayala only had a 90 OPS+ against LHP last year.

Anyway, $3MM is easy to dump if he doesn't perform.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”