Cactus Juice 2020.7: A disaster in Center

GM: Stephen Lane

Moderator: Lane

c-mitch
Ex-GM

Cactus Juice 2020.7: A disaster in Center

Post by c-mitch » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:46 pm

I confess. I sometimes don't pay the attention to this league that I do to my other leagues. Especially since my team isn't playing well, and it seems that change is slow to come. Well, it's even slower to come if you half-ass things part of the time. So in my last TN thread, Brett from Vancouver mentioned what a disaster Nathan Grimes is in Center Field. I've been paying absolutely zero attention to his starts out there.

Grimes

In fact, much of the season I've been auto'ing the lineups and depth charts, so the game is putting Grimes in CF. The reason for this is I actually have had nobody on my big-league roster with a better CF defensive rating for much of this year. Keep in mind that Grimes is only a 4-rated CF. I brought up Albert Cortez recently from AAA, and he is 6-rated in CF, but after hitting auto, the game elected to keep Grimes in CF and use Cortez as a super-utility guy. Heh. Oh well.

Look at the train wreck that Grimes is in Center. A -19.8 ZR. A .884 efficiency rating. My entire team ZR is only -12, so Grimes is single-handedly dragging it into the red. He simply shouldn't be out there. Left field would be the preferred spot for the 24-year old outfielder. He actually wasn't as bad as this last season, so maybe he suffered a defensive position lump or two? For whatever reason, it is clearly true he doesn't belong anywhere near centerfield. Now are we losing because of that? Grimes' WAR is -1.9. I would venture to guess that we have indeed suffered a couple of extra losses because of it, but on the other hand, it wouldn't have made a difference in the overall standings for my team this season, especially with the state of the bullpen. I still have moves to make this offseason, and the financial situation is coming around.

I do have Victor Hoffman, a 10-rated CF, down at AAA, who is actually injured at the moment. Hoffman has had 121 games at the big league level in 2017 and 2018, but he has accumulated a -2.3 WAR in that time in the MBWBA. He is 26 now, and probably not the long term answer either, though he would certainly help the pitching staff. Anyway, I would like to thank Vancouver for giving me something else to write a TN about.

Cliche
Ex-GM

Re: Cactus Juice 2020.7: A disaster in Center

Post by Cliche » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:51 am

Your pitchers must all loathe that guy by now.
Phoenix Talons, 1987-1994 (614-682, .474). 1993 JL Wildcard Winner.
Atlantic City Gamblers, 2010-2030. 2022 MBWBA Champions. '10, '15, '22, '23, '25, '28 FLA Champions. 2010, 2024 FL Cartwright Cup Winners.

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Cactus Juice 2020.7: A disaster in Center

Post by trmmilwwi » Fri May 01, 2015 9:21 am

4 rating in CF.... yuck. -1.9 WAR... ouch. Where's that batboy? Is he fast? Does he have a glove?!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”