WHIV 2009 Vol. 2- Opening Day Cutdown

GM: Matt Rectenwald

Moderator: recte44

recte44
GB: Commissioner

WHIV 2009 Vol. 2- Opening Day Cutdown

Post by recte44 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 am

The Las Vegas Hustlers, defending another Landis Memorial Series crown, are in a bit of a crossroads season. "There are some young guys who will be counted on in a big way this year," GM Matt Rectenwald said.

There were several interesting roster battles this spring. Here's how they shook out:
Tuesday, March 31st, 2009
Demoted MR Huub Bookelman to Triple A Milwaukee.
Demoted MR Jim Pickett to Triple A Milwaukee.
Demoted 1B Greg Sharp to Triple A Milwaukee.
RF Ross White was designated for assignment and placed on waivers.
Bookelman and Pickett both lost out on pitching spots due to lack of performance in spring and the fact that they both had roster options remaining. The last two spots on the staff went to Davis Gordon (who won the #5 spot in the rotation, at least temporarily) and out of options reliever Eric Craigston.

Sharp, meanwhile, was given every opportunity to win the first base job this spring but didn't hit at all and lost out to veteran Lee Seung-Yeop. This has proven to be a wise choice, as "Lion King" has started the season with a bang for the Hustlers (8 HR, 19 RBI in 64 ABs). Sharp was sent back to AAA Milwaukee where he will play every day and lie in wait, just in case.

The biggest and hardest decision was the final outfield slot. Ross White is a future Hall of Famer, but it's clear he's at the end of the line. He can't play the field anymore, and is just a passable hitter against RHP (can't hit lefties anymore). Tough guy to carry as a bench player because he's really just a pinch hitter. Meanwhile, Evan Grant started during the Hustlers playoff run in center field last season, had a monster Spring Training, and is someone that can offer the Hustlers versatility off the bench. A tough decision was made to waive Ross White and see if there were any takers. When there wasn't, the club optioned Grant to AAA where he will play every day and reinstated White to the active roster as a pinch-hitter.
Friday, April 17th, 2009
MR Duane King was claimed off waivers from Phoenix.
The early season waiver wire is one of my favorite times in this league. There's always plenty of guys to sift through, and I do, as I believe that no matter how good I think my team is there's probably ways to improve it. We claimed a couple of guys, losing out on two of our prefered guys (Lonnie Cardiel and Pat Larkin, Jr.) but we were able to snag King. He's out of options, but his pitch arsenal was intriguing enough for us to give him a shot at our #5 rotation slot the next sim, and we made room by sending Gordon (stlll with options remaining) to AAA. We also continue to keep a close eye on last year's #1 pick, Dave Marshall. after two great starts in AA Reno, he's already been promoted to AAA Milwaukee and should be a factor in the big leagues before this year is up.

Al-Hoot

Re: WHIV 2009 Vol. 2- Opening Day Cutdown

Post by Al-Hoot » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Marshall looks solid. And you do "play" the waiver wires better than anything.

recte44

Post by recte44 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:51 pm

I look at the Waiver Wire all the time.
First piece of advice I'd give a new GM- watch the waiver wire.

nerfHerder
Ex-GM

Post by nerfHerder » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:30 pm

The waiver wire is my favorite part of every new file. Wouldn't have had Duane King to begin with if the waiver wire wasn't there.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-2044)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

Greeney03
Ex-GM

Post by Greeney03 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 pm

I agree. WW is the first thing I look at each sim. Too bad, I don't have cap space.
JL Atlantic Div Champ 2014

Past team(s)
Greenville Moonshiners (2008 - 2016) 653-805,.448 PCT
Omaha Barnstormers (2000 - 2007) 627-534,.540 PCT

Tim Imasa
GM: Greenville Moonshiners
Email: timothyimasa@gmail.com

recte44

Post by recte44 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 pm

For real, Duane King has been claimed off waivers by four or five different teams over the last few years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Las Vegas Hustlers”