WHIV 2047.10- Could This Be A Masterpiece?

GM: Matt Rectenwald

Moderator: recte44

recte44
GB: Commissioner

WHIV 2047.10- Could This Be A Masterpiece?

Post by recte44 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:57 pm

Could This Be A Masterpiece?
by Matt Rectenwald, GM, Las Vegas Hustlers

The Las Vegas Hustlers have certainly had their share of outstanding teams. With 10 Brewster Championships, they have certainly had their fair share. This season feels different, somehow. To me, it feels almost like a masterpiece.

That's a bold statement, I know. I just can't remember feeling this good about a team at the Trade Deadline since well.....EVER. I had absolutely zero desire to make any moves, because I simply didn't see any holes to fill.

Pitching has carried the team, that's for sure. It's been a mix of guys with all kinds of different paths that led them here. Martin Ross, our unlikely ace, was part of the Shawn Huber haul. So was Brian King, now nursed back to health. Stan Cyr, also back from a long term injury, was acquired from Portland in the Brett Schroeder era. Kevin Morales was a bargain signing who has had a renaissance at age 35. Nathaniel Davis, the lefty, has been solid all year. Then last year's #1 pick, Jay Hodge, has been absolutely incredible since added to the rotation (4-1, 1.36 ERA in 9 GS). Drees Geestman did start to fade this year, and ultimately landed in the bullpen until his season recently ended with a hamstring injury.

The bullpen had a huge role in the horrific start to the Hustlers' 2047 season. We were able to re-arrange things and quickly recover. I can't say enough about Bang Pi and how he's really stepped up. Mike Jayne and Wayne Dorsey have been solid all year long. Rich Martinez has had more ups than downs of late. Eru Likiliki, when healthy, has been really, really good. The big difference maker, also coming off a major injury, has been Dominic Thompson. He certainly has been well worth the price of Francisco Otero, you think?

Calvin Johnson is an outstanding defensive catcher who began to hit to his potential this year. Stewart Turton and Damel Korbel make for one of the best double play combos in the BBA. Blaine Tyler was such a difference maker last season after coming to Vegas at the Trade Deadline, and continued his success this year. The mix and match of Carlos Fernandez, Carlos Santillan, Abu Wakamota, and Juan Mendoza between first base and DH has been highly successful.

I've gone back a lot of seasons, and I am having a hard time finding an outfield better than the 2047 trio of Tom Rudge, Kidane Ata and Jim Ashford. Rudge and Ata are both having career years and Ashford continues to be the underrated star that he always has been.

Things are good in Vegas. We're about to find out just how good.

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: WHIV 2047.10- Could This Be A Masterpiece?

Post by Dington » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:13 pm

You might just surpass the 95 win total from my preview 😜
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:48 pm

Glad to see so many familiar names.
GM Vancouver Mounties

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:12 pm

recte44 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:57 pm

Things are good in Vegas. We're about to find out just how good.
If the Cougars are able to make it to the playoffs again this year, definitely hoping to avoid a matchup with the Hustlers. The regular season matchup didnt quite fall our way.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Las Vegas Hustlers”