GM: Matt Rectenwald

Moderator: recte44

recte44
GB: Commissioner

WHIV 2045.9- "Mettere paglia al fuoco"

Post by recte44 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:14 pm

WHIV 2045.9- "Mettere paglia al fuoco"
May 11, 2045

The Office of Las Vegas Hustlers General Manager Matt Rectenwald is bustling. Rectenwald, of course, is there. So is Jose Cervantes, the Assistant General Manager.

JC: Boss, I had an interesting talk with the guys over in Edmonton. You know they need a catcher, right?

MR: Yeah, heard that. I assume you tried to unload "Big Reg" on them?

JC: Yeah, I floated his name out there. Then we got to talking more. They like Noguchi better.

MR: Interesting. He's probably more talented all around, but he's no one's buddy, that's for sure.

JC: Yeah, so I told him I'd take a look through his organization and try to put something together. There's a problem though, boss.

MR: There are no problems, only solutions.

JC: *laughs* What? You think you're John Lennon or something?

MR: Not at all, but I sure love his music. And that lyric is true. So what's the problem?

JC: I keep coming back to this kid they have in A ball, Saswata. He's a second baseman, real young, hasn't done anything yet. You told me to look for guys who are of the "ball in play" ilk? This guy fits it perfectly.

MR: That sounds great. So what's the problem?

JC: Word is he's close to untouchable.

MR: *pfft* Untouchable is just a word we use when we haven't heard the right offer. (shouting to secretary): Vanessa! Get me Gichure from the Jackrabbits office on the line!

Vanessa: Ok boss, Gicheru Gichure on Line 1!

MR: (picks up phone) Gich-Gich! How's Edmonton these days? Starting to warm up yet?

GG: Yeah, and just when it warms up my damn catcher goes down. *grumbles incoherently*

MR: That's why I was calling. JC's with us on speaker here and he was telling me that you folks may have some interest in Noguchi?

GG: He could be of interest. We're just looking for someone to stop the bleeding until Scheffer gets healthy.

MR: We could move him. We have our eyes on a player of yours, kid named Saswata.

GG: *chuckles* Certainly you don't think we'd move him for your backup catcher?

MR: Absolutely not. Thought we'd have a talk. I know you have your eyes on someone in our organization. You and I both know who I'm talking about. You want to talk about expanding this deal in a big way?

(silence)

GG: Really? You're talking about HIM? The...the....

MR: That's right. "The Italian".

GG: (sounds of papers shuffling and commotion) Can I call you back?

MR: You know where to reach me. (hangs up)

JC: You're ready to talk about moving the Italian? Do you know what you're doing?

MR: Come on, man. You do realize I may know what I'm doing. Please.

JC: Sorry, it's just shocking. Girolamo is a big deal here in Vegas.

MR: I know he is. Let me ask you a question, JC. With Giro, are we a playoff team?

JC: Well, no. We're not.

MR: Need I say more? It's not about now. It's not about next year. It's about 2047 and beyond. We need to reset the organization. A tradeable asset is just that. Sounds harsh, and you know I love L'Arch more than anyone. Right now the best way he can help the team is by getting us a haul of players for the rebuild.

Vanessa: Boss, you have Gichure on Line 1!

MR: (picks up phone, winks at JC): Gich! Ready to do some dealing?

GG: I am. Sorry, I had Robillard come in before. I told him who we were talking about. I'm fully authorized to move Saswata in a deal for Noguchi and L'Archibudelli.

MR: I'm sure you are. I'm sure you also realize that you're going to have to give up several more players to get those guys.

GG: Alright, who'd you have in mind?

MR: We like Soto a lot. He'll do.

GG: Hmmpf. He's unavailable.

MR: Alright then, I get it. How about Chavez?

GG: Hell no. We like him better than Soto. We might be too far off, Recte.

MR: Calm down, now. I gotta try to the quality outliers first. You didn't want to give those guys up, we get it. But now we're going to need to talk about quantity of quality.

GG: Alright, alright. Who are you going to shake me down for?

MR: For starters, we want that outfielder Ohayashi. Good defense, good bat, should advance quickly.

GG: Alright, we'll allow it. What else?

MR: Since you won't move Soto, you're going to have to give us Buckson. I know he was your first rounder last year, I get that he won the Swanson Award in 2043, but he's the pitcher we want.

GG: (sighs) Ok, ok. Is that it?

MR: We also want Hu Ling. Seventeen year old infielder out of China. We think he'll be a big leaguer.

GG: That's a lot, Recte. I'm going to have to go over the financial implications with Robillard and get back to you.

MR: I'll wait on the call. (hangs up)

JC: Did that all just happen?

MR: Indeed it did. Now we wait. I have the feeling there's going to be a twist. There always is.

JC: Probably some salary dump. We can probably make it work.

Vanessa: Boss, you have Mr. Gishure again on line one!

MR: (picks up the phone) What's the verdict, jury?

GG: Well, we're going to need you to help out by taking a contract.

MR: Alright, who is it?

GG: Well, it's Po-sin Shi.

MR: Your centerfielder? I suppose we can make use of him on his one year deal.

GG: But you need to give us Patrick Cross in return.

MR: (turns to JC and smiles) Gish, we have a deal. JC will call you and complete the paperwork. Thank you and good luck.

GG: Same to you. L'Arch needs to get us a Landis! Tell JC I'll reach out. (hangs up)

MR: Alright, JC. Wrap it up. We just made a hell of a deal for the future of the Hustlers.

JC: Sure looks that way, but I also can't help of a saying that L'Arch told me about once.

MR: What's that?

JC: "Mettere paglia al fuoco."

MR: What does that mean?

JC: (paused, and says dramatically): L'Arch told me his grandfather used it a lot. He told me that it literally means, “to put a straw in the fire," but colloquially it means, “to tempt fate.”

MR: (nods) Surely we've just done both. Now we just have to see if fate is on our side or not.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: WHIV 2045.9- "Mettere paglia al fuoco"

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:48 pm

Awesome.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:40 pm

I don't speak German.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

RichY
Ex-GM

Post by RichY » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:07 am

Fun stuff.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:03 am

All the cool kids have moved on from calling it the Landis and now call it the Monty.

(the cool kids are currently just Niles and me, but ... well... hmm...)
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Las Vegas Hustlers”