GM: Matt Rectenwald

Moderator: recte44

recte44
GB: Commissioner

WHIV 2044.2- The Island of Misfit Toys

Post by recte44 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:09 pm

WHIV 2044.2- The Island of Misfit Toys
January 27, 2044

As a long time observer of the Las Vegas Hustlers, this reporter has seen everything over the years. One of the time honored traditions that I most enjoy covering are some of the under the radar offseason additions. Ranging from Rule 5 picks to waiver claims to minor league free agents, it's always intriguing to see if one of these unwanted players can emerge as a contributor.

"It's like The Island of Misfit Toys," laughed Hustlers GM Matt Rectenwald. "Instead of looking at what they don't have, we try to find something they do have and could ultimately help us."

This offseason was not unlike every other, as the Hustlers search far and wide to find a WAR or two.

Major League Free Agents:
After the Hustlers were rebuffed by just about every major free agent they were after, they ended up signing just two Major League Free Agents to date, and both are former Hustlers who should not be a stranger to even casual fans of the club. Claudio Perez should be in the mix for at least a platoon role behind the dish, and Raul Alilea comes back to the Hustlers after a single season in the UMEBA. He'll fill a familiar role, likely playing everyday against lefties at second base, first base and DH. "Will these guys get a chance? You bet," stated Rectenwald. "I told the coaching staff to have an open competition this Spring, so we'll do that."

The Rule 5 Draft:
Whispers that the Hustlers may trade Manoell Whanon had been echoing throughout Las Vegas the entire offseason up to this point, and the selection of center fielder Rodrigo Moreno from the Mexico City Aztecs did nothing to quiet them. Moreno is a defense first player who has absolutely no semblance of power in his game. He's a lefty bat who can't hit left-handers at all, but could factor into the Hustlers outfield mix. "We're taking a look at Rodrigo," said Rectenwald. "He's going to be part of an open competition that we can discuss later."

Waivers:
It looks like the Hustlers goal for the offseason was to acquire as many borderline catchers as humanly possible. This pursuit continued with the claim of Augusto Vargas from the Yellow Springs Nine. He's a defense first catcher who threw out 50% of runners attempting to steal in AAA last year, and can hit lefties alright. "Augusto will certainly have a chance to show us what he can do," Rectenwald said. "Not sure if I mentioned this, but we are having an open competition that we can discuss later."

Minor League Free Agents:
Competition was fierce this year for minor league free agents, and the Hustlers signed just a couple of outfielders. Yi-ke Zang was a long time BBA starter as a center-fielder, and Las Vegas feels there could still be something left. They also signed corner outfielder Huang-di Chu to supply some depth in the minors, back for his second tour of duty in the Hustlers system. "Both of these guys will get a shot to compete in this open competition we're having in spring that I may have mentioned," muttered Rectenwald.

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: WHIV 2044.2- The Island of Misfit Toys

Post by shoeless.db » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:58 pm

I love reading about how guys fill out their roster. Good stuff.
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: WHIV 2044.2- The Island of Misfit Toys

Post by recte44 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:07 pm

I still need to find a lot more of these guys. Minor league position player group is for shit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Las Vegas Hustlers”