GM: Matt Rectenwald

Moderator: recte44

recte44
GB: Commissioner

WHIV 2037.5- "Old Hoss" Atkinson Is Vegas Second Rounder

Post by recte44 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:26 am

"Old Hoss" Atkinson Is Vegas Second Rounder
June 1, 2037

Las Vegas, like most teams in the Brewster Baseball Association, doesn't put a lot of stock into stats from High School prospects in their draft prep. In the case of Marvin Atkinson the numbers were hard to ignore.

Atkinson, an 18 year old right handed pitcher with the Nintendo Bros. team in HSAS, not only is dripping with potential but has also been no less than dominant in his two seasons in the league. Last season he was 3-0 with a sparkling 1.37 ERA in six starts, and he's followed that up by going 4-1 with a 2.27 ERA this year in nine starts, leading his team to the playoffs.

His teammates have taken to calling him "Old Hoss", a tribute to his willingness to go deep into ballgames even though his coaches prevent it. "Skipper has to pry the ball away from Old Hoss," laughed second baseman Blaine Tyler. "Dude is bad ass."

Like many young pitchers in high school, Atkinson is primarily a two pitch guy, with a good fastball in the low 90's and a slider that scouts believe could become a huge weapon. He's developing a changeup and it will need to grow substantially to keep him in the rotation long term, but at the worst he could be a bullpen workhorse.

"Doesn't matter to me," said Atkinson, an Oklahoma native with a heavy drawl. "Just give me the ball."

When Atkinson's playoff run is over he's expected to sign with the Hustlers and report to Rookie ball with the Las Vegas system.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: WHIV 2037.5- "Old Hoss" Atkinson Is Vegas Second Rounder

Post by agrudez » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:31 am

I always love those blue stamina elite relievers.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:44 am

It's going to be fun to see what all these mega-relievers/semi-starters do to the trade market. And the development engine, for that matter.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:50 am

I feel like even in 'down' drafts good relievers were fairly plentiful. You could get closers in the late 1st and setup guys in the 2nd. I know because that is usually what I did when I had late draft picks (since the bats and SPs at those spots were horrendous).
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Boo relievers in the draft. Booooooo!!! It's inexcusably stupid and unrealistic. Only a small percentage of high school and college players are drafted as relievers, and most of those are exceptional with the only two pitches they have. This is a bad and non-representative of actual baseball model. Boo "1" or "2" potential change "three pitch" guys. Boo so many two pitch pitchers. Booooooo!!!!! Even if it lead to more stuck third pitches, I'd be thrilled to see a model where more than half the pitchers have a shot at being starters.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Las Vegas Hustlers”