GM: Matt Rectenwald

Moderator: recte44

recte44
GB: Commissioner

WHIV 2037.2- Kharlamov Finds Fountain of Youth

Post by recte44 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Kharlamov Finds Fountain of Youth
June 1, 2037

When the Las Vegas Hustlers signed Valeri Kharlamov to a minor league deal on March 11, there wasn't a big hooplah. Let's fact it, Kharlamov hasn't been a big impact player for three seasons now. With the Hustlers roster pretty much set in stone except for perhaps one infield position, Vegas GM Matt Rectenwald was banking on the veteran being able to squeeze one more decent season out of his old bones.

And, by the way, he also wanted him to learn a brand new position. Usually when you're a 36 year old veteran second baseman you find yourself moving to first base at this stage of your career. In this case, Kharlamov was getting a crash course at the hot corner.

Despite having youngsters Kazuo Yamamoto and Antonio Baca already on the roster, Rectenwald was looking for a little more consistency at the plate from the heavy half of a third base platoon. Enter Kharlamov.

Signing late in Spring Training, he only got seventeen at bats and just three hits in those trips (.176 average). Still, the Hustlers added him to the Opening Day roster as their primary third baseman.

Then in April he started off ice cold. It took a late rally in the month to just crack the Mendoza line (.203/.295/.391). Still, the Hustlers stuck with him even as talk radio were questioning his presence on the roster and the lack of Yamamoto on it after a strong showing last year.

The month of May was a completely different story. All of a sudden "The Ankle" was back as we all remember him- taking walks, ripping hits, scoring runs. When the dust settled his slash line was a blast from the past, at .343/.470/.493 with 2 homers, 13 runs batted in.

"Honestly, I don't know why this is happening or what I've done differently," said Kharlamov. "It's like I took a dip in the Fountain of Youth or something!"

So now that his bat has come back from the dead, how has he fared at the hot corner? For a player who had a mere thirty innings at third base prior to this season, quite well! He's made just three errors in 33 games, with a .954 fld% and -1.8 ZR. "I've always taken pride in my defense," said Kharlamov, "and I think I'll continue to get better as the season goes on."

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: WHIV 2037.2- Kharlamov Finds Fountain of Youth

Post by Lane » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:54 pm

I noticed him today when I was going to send you a message to trade you a 3B. But I guess you don't really need one now...
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Las Vegas Hustlers”