Trail Droppings 2042-2 Calgary Loses 5 in Rule 5

GM: Kevin Dickson

Moderator: indiansfan

indiansfan
BBA GM

Trail Droppings 2042-2 Calgary Loses 5 in Rule 5

Post by indiansfan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:17 pm

Calgary Loses 5 in Rule 5

The Pioneers lost more players in the Rule 5 draft than every before, according to long time members of the team. Five players were selected out of Calgary’s farm system. Some hurt more than others

SP Jung-kyoo Yi - Well this one is Ass GM Alfonso Martinez’ 2nd strike after signing the elderly rookie. Yi was playing in Winter Ball and it was his responsibility to check the roster for Rule 5 eligible players. Somehow he overlooked Yi and Mexico City grabbed him in the draft. Now Yi was always a long shot to make the majors, but the team would have liked to keep him in the system.

UT Joe Mills - Well 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF. Mills was one of the super subs in Calgary’s system. The 25 year old has been stuck in AAA for the last 3 seasons. The problem is his glove isn’t quite good enough for him to start at SS or CF, and his bat isn’t good enough for anywhere else. Actually hope Chicago can find a place for him, he deserves to play in the BBA.

UT Tony Perez - The other super sub plays 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF. Like Mills he is 25 and has been stuck in the minors. Since Mills was at AAA, Perez has been rotting at AA. His glove is good enough to start, but his bat just isn’t that good. If Omaha is after a glove, Perez could see a lot of action. We expected to lose either Mills or Perez, was hoping to keep one of them.

1B Gustavo Aguilera - It was a last minute decision not to protect Aguilera and roll the dice. After all, there are alot of 1B/DH types out there so the chance of him sliding through Rule 5 was better than 50/50. Aguilera was going to compete for a platoon role at DH this year. However, Louisville shot the shit out of that plan and grabbed him up. I guess he is insurance for Hugh or maybe Hugh will go back to AAA for a spell.

1BFreddy Rijo - Looks like Charlotte wanted a good glove at 1B. Rijo has a Zimmer glove and can be part of a platoon for the Cougars this year. For a rebuilding team the 24 year old makes perfect sense. He has pop in his bat and is a fun guy to have on the team. We hope he does well there.

So we say goodbye to 5 guys who all deserve a chance to play in the BBA. Maybe we will get 1 or 2 back, but I expect most will stay with their new teams. None were going to play a significant role for us this year so we wish them well with their new teams.
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Trail Droppings 2042-2 Calgary Loses 5 in Rule 5

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:27 pm

Mills will definitely play in Chicago, although he won’t start because he’s not good enough to displace any of my starters. But ... he’ll essentially be a one-man bench, allowing me to carry one less infielder and one less outfielder. That’s key because I’m looking at doing something a little unusual with the pitching staff. He’ll have a good home.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Trail Droppings 2042-2 Calgary Loses 5 in Rule 5

Post by RonCo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:34 am

Happens when you get a deep system...but that's a lot of players. I think we lost four last year, then had two sent back.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Calgary Pioneers”