Trail Droppings 2039-3 "The Chairman" Comes to Calgary

GM: Kevin Dickson

Moderator: indiansfan

indiansfan
BBA GM

Trail Droppings 2039-3 "The Chairman" Comes to Calgary

Post by indiansfan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:39 am

“The Chairman” Comes to Calgary

The time has finally arrived, first baseman Liann-wei Mao has arrived in Calgary. Mao announced his arrival by proclaiming that he wants to be referred to as “The Chairman” from now on.

“Please call me The Chairman ,” Mao said. “I am the Chairman of the Board and my board is this Louisville Slugger that I let do the talking for me.”

It is a rather interesting nickname for a player from Taiwan to choose. Mao had been nicknamed “Merlin” earlier in his career, because like magic, he would make the ball disappear. Usually over the right field fence. Taking on the title of Communist Mao Zedong seems a strange choice for a Taiwanese player.

“I mean they even moved the fences when they heard I was coming,” The Chairman added.

Calgary has been awaiting the arrival of the lanky lefty and his home run bat. Over the past 3 seasons, Mao has progressed through the minor leagues dominating at every level, In 40 games at AAA St. Paul last season, he hit 14 homers and posted a 1.080 OPS. The Pioneers did adjust their fences this season to make them more friendly to left handed hitters. It will be interesting to see where the Pioneers put him in the lineup given they already have two stellar first basemen.

After the laughter died down, Mao got serious and explained that his name had been a source of taunts during his childhood as would be expected growing up with the name Mao in Taiwan. By owning the nickname he is hoping to make people forget the dictator and think of him when they hear the name Mao.
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

Return to “Calgary Pioneers”