Trail Droppings 2038-2 Dickson Holds End of Year Press Conference

GM: Kevin Dickson

Moderator: indiansfan

indiansfan
BBA GM

Trail Droppings 2038-2 Dickson Holds End of Year Press Conference

Post by indiansfan » Fri May 31, 2019 7:54 pm

Dickson Holds End of Year Press Conference

Calgary GM Kevin Dicksonheld a season ending press conference yesterday after the team missed the playoffs for the third straight year. Despite the disappointing finish, Dickson was optimistic for the club’s future

Q- Let’s start with the obvious, what do you have to say about missing the playoffs for the third year in a row?

Dickson - Well obviously we are disappointed. You always want to get into the playoffs and make a run at the Landis and we thought we had built a playoff team this year. We had the bats, top batting average in the Frick and second in runs, but the pitching stuff underperformed.

Q- What changes are you planning to turn the pitching staff around for next year?

Dickson - Well we need to add a left handed starter through trade or free agency I think. We have 4 solid righties and Mike Bragg proved that he can start in the BBA, so I think we are in good shape. Carlos Granados was also in our plans, but with his injury that probably sets him back a year.

Q - What about the bullpen, 13th in the league?

Dickson - Well we had several guys that underperformed there. Jesus Arce and Thomas Crane had particularly bad years and that is where we got hurt. We need to upgrade the 7th and 8th inning guys. I think Carlos Rodriguez could move into that role along with others. We might even move from a closer to a stopper system. We will just have to see, but there will be changes.

Q - Does that include pitching coach Ralph Desjardins?

Dickson - We reevaluate everyone at the end of the season, that includes coaches.

Q- Based on that answer is Terry Cochran on the chopping block?

Dickson - We look at everything after each year, but Terry will always have a place here in Calgary.

Q - What are the bright spots from the year?

Dickson - Well the entire offense. We really didn’t have a weak spot. Karyabwite and Marin gave us a great #1 and #2. By the way it is a crime that Juan is getting screwed in the votes for LF. He should win the Slugger and the Zimmer after the year he had. Jose Rios had a breakout year and I guess I’m looking pretty smart picking up LaFitte after the year he had. And then Francisco Medina really hit well for us. I think he surprised some folks in the league, but we knew he was capable of putting up these numbers.

Q - What do you need to work on offensively this off season?

Dickson - Well finding places for all the great hitters we have at AAA. We have 5-6 guys that should be starting in the BBA and I’m not sure where to put them all. If there is a team looking for bats, they should give me a call. I think the only area to improve on is solidifying our catching and adding a righty bat at third. Hector Serrano could start again for us, but if we can find a power bat there then we will do that.

Q - What about the talk I’m hearing that you are going to have to move your fences again to accommodate all the lefty bats you have?

Dickson - We are looking into that. We also have some boomers coming up from St. Paul to take into account. However, our pitching staff was built for a right handed park, so I might have to get creative.

Q - What are you thoughts on expansion?

Dickson - My first thoughts were that we are going to lose three great players with the depth that we have. Then I heard they were moving us to the Johnson, not too happy about that one. It messes with the whole history of the franchise, we have always been a Frick team. I guess the best way to handle it is go win the division for the last time and take the Landis one more time. Then when we win it again in 2040 we will be the only team to win it back to back from different leagues. Well I think that’s a good place to end this on.
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Trail Droppings 2038-2 Dickson Holds End of Year Press Conference

Post by RonCo » Fri May 31, 2019 10:00 pm

A tough year for Calgary, I think. Interesting off season.

Moving leagues is always a bit traumatic. I know when we moved from the JL to the FL it was a little traumatic, and I was still pretty new.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Calgary Pioneers”