The Kernel Journal - Vol. 2, No. 1

GM: Jessie Ramirez

Moderator: JRamirez

lynchy34
Ex-GM

The Kernel Journal - Vol. 2, No. 1

Post by lynchy34 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57 am

Kernels Wrestle with 1996 Identity

1996 could be a very interesting season for the defending Frick League champion Des Moines Kernels. One would think a team that was a couple games away from winning the Landis Memorial Series wouldn't consider tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding. But the Frick Midwest looks to be tough, with Austin the clear favorite and the Kernels and Birmingham Bandits nipping at their heels. The first 10 days of the season didn't reveal too much, as Des Moines went 4-4 and finds themslves just a half game out of first place in the tightly-packed Frick Midwest.

There are a couple of snags, though. First, the Kernels are tight to the salary cap, running just over $1 million under the league's $90 million cap. Secondly, the Kernels have little in the way of assets to move to improve their situation. And finally, the Kernels have virtually no depth and injuries have exposed the club's Achilles' Heel just eight games into the season. Solid veteran swingman P John Hoggan is out for the season after having Tommy John surgery in March. Then, in the season's first week, CF Robert Nolan and 2B Tommy Corcoran both found themslves on the disabled list.

"This was not the start we were hoping for," said Des Moines GM Mike Lynch. "We couldn't afford injuries and we lost two key guys in the first week."

One man that's undoubtedly safe should the Kernels go into a rebuild is star P Eddie Harris. Despite his slow start, the 28-year-old is one of the game's best arms and it's doubtful that anyone could come up with a package to entice Lynch to move an ace in his prime that is one of the GM's favorite all-time players. The same probably isn't true, though, for guys like Nolan, Corcoran, 3B Lorenzo Picou (who just signed a two-year contract extension), RF Dan Manville and P Shamus Perfetto.

The Kernels will probably hold off until the end of April to make a decision, but if things go south quickly, it will be wheeling and dealing time for the Des Moines front office.
Frick League Champions - '95, '98, '00
Frick Midwest Champions - '98
General Manager of the Year - '98

braveheart
Ex-GM

Re: The Kernel Journal - Vol. 2, No. 1

Post by braveheart » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:59 am

I can't imagine Harris would go anywhere - thou someone might meet your inflated price! ;)

lynchy34
Ex-GM

Post by lynchy34 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 am

braveheart wrote:I can't imagine Harris would go anywhere - thou someone might meet your inflated price! ;)
Yeah, there's no denying that my asking price would be inflated. I'll always listen, but I'd have to be blown so far away.

lynchy34
Ex-GM

Post by lynchy34 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:16 am

Well, a 7-2 sim may delay that a bit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic