2055.2 - A GM's Journal

GM: Josh Davidoff

Moderator: joshd19

Patrick M
Ex-GM

2055.2 - A GM's Journal

Post by Patrick M » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:38 am

Friday, October 8th, 2055 -

My wife just stopped and said, "You weren't even listening, were you?" I thought, "That's a pretty weird way to start a conversation."

Turns out she had told me I need to start journaling and being more in touch with my emotions. I think there were a few other things but I wasn't really paying attention.

As I sit here on Friday morning, I'm reading a new report that says I am the favorite to take home GM of the Year in the Frick League. I'm uncomfortable with this honor and I wonder how, if I do indeed win, will look if we don't win it all and what is destined to happened in the off-season.

We have been in a bit of a bind when it comes to planning for the future. I have been unable to extend offers to either Makin or Parreno due to the large projected team salary of 2056 in addition to a few team options, arbitrations and minimum salaries that aren't likely to be picked up. Fortunately the media hasn't really made a big deal about this because we are doing so well in the standings. Or have done so well, as the playoffs start tomorrow.

If I wasn't essentially a first year GM, I would have made a number of trades in effort to protect these assets. Moving on from Haney, finding a salary dump for Juan Medrano (which was entertained for a brief moment), amongst other transactions that would allow the Kernel's to re-sign the likes of Makin/Parreno. Or at the very least, trading them for a large package of prospects.

But I really didn't feel good about doing that. I was privileged to jump the line straight to the BBA and I was taking over for a fan favorite GM who got called back to the armed forces . When I got the keys mid-season last year, I knew with a few tweaks and an off-season reset this team would compete. I felt like I owed it to Randy, the Des Moines fans, and to Ed Murphy to push in all the chips this season. It's been almost 50 years since this team has won a championship! I saw on the news the other day, a 26-year-old woman became the world's youngest grandmother as her 13-year-old son had a child. Just think if they lived in Des Moines?! There could be four, maybe even five generations that haven't seen a title!

I'm not sure what to expect from our playoff matchup against Twin Cities. They looked pretty dominant against Omaha. A 3-1 series win, with the single loss being by one run and the three wins only giving up a single run each game. It would be fitting to win 108 games and lose in the first round.

I'm nervous.
Des Moines Kernels … since July ‘54
Heartland Division Champions: 2055
Frick League Champions: 2056
General Manager of the year: 2055
Frick League Manager of the Year: 2055, 2056

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: 2055.2 - A GM's Journal

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:40 am

Ah yes, Juanny baseball. Nice writeup! Needs more corn. ;)
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Des Moines Kernels”