2055.1 - Juan Medrano Reportedly On The Block

GM: Josh Davidoff

Moderator: joshd19

Patrick M
Ex-GM

2055.1 - Juan Medrano Reportedly On The Block

Post by Patrick M » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:14 pm

On July 21st, the Des Moines Kernel's sit atop the Heartland Division and the entire Frick League at 65-33. To enter the season, many experts predicted the team would hover around .500 and possibly compete for a Wild Card. Considering where they stand today, you would expect the team to be clicking on all cylinders, which to a point, they are. Yet, not everyone is pulling their weight. According to multiple sources, SS Juan Medrano has not only been shopped around the league, apparently the Kernel's have multiple offers in hand.

The 34-year-old infielder is currently hitting .225 with a .607 OPS and 0.0 WAR. These numbers aren't terrible or a far cry from his career averages. However many around the team feel his defense has started to slip and while he's typically not in the lineup to be a huge bat, there is a higher expectation for the teams 3rd highest paid player at $12,000,000.

The rumors have been swirling for weeks. In fact, there were reports he was shopped even in the off-season. When asked yesterday if the trade talks were bothering him, Medrano kept it somewhat brief.

"Of course I hear them. It's impossible not to. I just want my teammates, coaches and fans to know, I am trying my best. I've worked on things this off-season and Des Moines is where I want to be."

To his credit, Medrano worked on his third base defense during the off-season and during Spring Training. He has in fact played more games at the hot corner than he has at any other position combined. However his shortstop defense has slipped at 34 but the more glaring issue is his lower than usual on base percentage. He is currently pacing 46 base on balls. That would be a career low, omitting his 61 game rookie season and his 2052 injury shortened season.

Second-year GM Patrick McLaughlin has been asked about the trade talks and Medrano's play as well and until last week, found way to avoid a direct response. Medrano was signed by the previous regime but McLaughlin has tried to keep the roster relatively in tact. He has yet to make a trade as a BBA GM.

"Juan is a great player. He's a fan favorite. He's loyal. He was a huge part of the 2053 season's success. Let's not forget how special that year was, as this team made the playoffs for the first time since 2009. Now, we do expect him to play better and I'm not going to say whether he has been formally offered in a trade or not. We are constantly looking for ways to improve this team and win our first championship in almost 50 years. I personally appreciate Medrano's attitude throughout this season. We have pulled him in and out of the lineup, lower in the order than he is used to and we even have played him more at 2B and 3B, which isn't his preferred spot."

Despite his struggles, internally there is an expectation for him to perform better. If not, don't be surprised to see him on the move. Interestingly enough, with the all the trade talks heating up the past few days, Medrano's performance has actually been better and the team seems more willing to play him regularly and at shortstop. Incumbent starter, one of McLaughlin's FA signings Elvan Masuki has been out of more lineups than at any point in the season. Medrano himself has caught fire over his last eight games hitting .393, including a 4/4 performance on July 16th.

"Let's put it this way," McLaughlin added. "Our first goal is to win the Heartland division. Our second goal is to win the Frick League. You can probably guess what our third goal is. In any case, we are a better baseball club if Medrano is performing better. That is also likely better for our goals than what he would net on the trade block considering his current performance, age and salary. We want him here."

Time will tell going forward. The Kernal's finish their three-game series hosting the Twin City River Monsters tonight. The lineup cards are turned in and Medrano is back at shortstop. For now.
Des Moines Kernels … since July ‘54
Heartland Division Champions: 2055
Frick League Champions: 2056
General Manager of the year: 2055
Frick League Manager of the Year: 2055, 2056

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2055.1 - Juan Medrano Reportedly On The Block

Post by RonCo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:19 pm

ou can probably guess what our third goal is.
A vacation in Antigua?
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Des Moines Kernels”