The Cool Of The Grass 2051.7: Des Moines Hanging In There At All-Star Break

GM: Josh Davidoff

Moderator: joshd19

aaronweiner
BBA GM

The Cool Of The Grass 2051.7: Des Moines Hanging In There At All-Star Break

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:18 am

The Des Moines Kernels started out last year above .500, in first place at the end of April. They were never above .500 again, and by the All-Star Break they were toast. Not this year. This year, Des Moines is not just winning games, but the Kernels' 12-4 surge in July has put them ten games above the break-even mark with 64 games left, marking easily their best season in decades.

"It's amazing - we can't even go out for groceries right now without being mobbed," said second baseman Felix Parreno, whose career has taken off since being moved to the pivot last year. "We just feel so much better than we've ever felt about Des Moines baseball."

The surge has coincided with two major moves from the Kernels. The first one was calling up #3 overall pick Carlos Souza, who has lived up to his high draft position by posting a .410 OBP in 54 games since being called up to the majors, barely missing a beat from the way he dominated the minor leagues in the year prior. The other move was acquiring Malik bin Mazin and Kaz Saito from Omaha, which has supercharged the offense, which is currently third in the Frick in runs and fourth in OPS.

"The confidence this organization has shown to me has been moving," said Souza, who is hitting an absurd .429 in July. "To not only call me up but put me right in the #3 spot in the order gives me the sort of confidence I need to succeed for Des Moines."

Also leading the charge is #2 starter Thomas Turner, who has shrugged off a tough May to post nine starts with an ERA under 3 in June and July. With BBA newcomer Slobodan Omeragic and second-year player Jon Brown struggling, Turner's stability has been vital to the cause.

"I'm doing what I always try to do," said Turner. "Put my pitches on the black (corners of the plate), and let the rest sort itself out."

As previously mentioned in this space, Des Moines has not had a winning record in two decades. However, team statisticians tell me that if we use Des Moines' current run differential, there is around a 95% chance that the Kernels will in fact win at least 82 games, a 97% chance that they will finish at .500, and - using Kernels GM Aaron Weiner's benchmark - a near 100% chance that the team will not lose 90 games.

"I didn't know it would happen so fast, but we're thrilled that it's happening," said Weiner. "But it's all about the guys on the field and not the guys in the front office. Those guys are playing their hearts out."

Des Moines is currently 54-44 and stands just a half game out of the fourth wild card, but also just four games back of the first wild card, meaning they are solidly in the race with a number of other teams. The Kernels will have one more against Twin Cities and two against disappointing Madison before facing a very rough four-game set in Portland.

"We feel like we can win any game now," said closer Bill Keil, a career Kernel who has stayed healthy this year. "It's a feeling I've never had as a professional. It's very special."

https://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... am_18.html

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: The Cool Of The Grass 2051.7: Des Moines Hanging In There At All-Star Break

Post by tylertoo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:35 am

This shows what a difference a top-notch GM can make, accomplishing a rebuild in short order.

We in Chicago hate you. :P
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: The Cool Of The Grass 2051.7: Des Moines Hanging In There At All-Star Break

Post by Dington » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:47 am

Ugh.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*