The Cool Of The Grass 2051.2: Des Moines Ignores Offense, Signs Starting Pitcher

GM: Josh Davidoff

Moderator: joshd19

aaronweiner
BBA GM

The Cool Of The Grass 2051.2: Des Moines Ignores Offense, Signs Starting Pitcher

Post by aaronweiner » Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 am

The Des Moines Kernels desperately needed offense. But they also couldn't in good faith pass up a pitcher like Slobodan Omeragic. The 22 year old Montenegrin has developed into one of the more exciting young pitchers in the BBA system, and even with Baghdad holding him back somewhat last year the flameballing righty managed to post the fourth-highest WAR in his league last year. Des Moines now has a rotation that features Alaric, Omeragic, Thomas Turner, and impressive second-year starter Jon Brown.

"Slobodan is so advanced for his age and so impressive that we couldn't let him go," said Des Moines GM Aaron Weiner. "He's an unbelievable young talent."

What's interesting about Omeragic as it relates to the Des Moines Kernels is that he reminds everyone of what they always imagined Jamie Barber might become: a big righty who throws extra hard with a wicked changeup. Barber never became that pitcher for Des Moines; Omeragic might be that pitcher right now, today.

"I'm not going to step into Jamie Barber's shadow because they traded Jamie Barber," said Omeragic. "I don't have to fill anyone's shoes. I'm not even the ace - did people forget that Alaric is a Kernel?"

With Omeragic and Alaric, the Kernels not only are cornering the market with players whose names end in "c", they're also getting a central European connection. Omeragic is 10 years Alaric's junior but the former is a big fan of the three-time Steve Nebraska winning Des Moines ace.

"I look forward to mentoring Slobodan," said Alaric. "He has an amazing arm and I want to show him everything about pitching."

There are some whispers around the front office that the Omeragic signing might spell the beginning of the end for the Alaric era in Des Moines, but it's hard to say. Alaric has an opt-out looming after 2052, and it is thought that if the team is not a contender by then, Alaric will probably leave Iowa. But Omeragic might also point to a bridge to the future.

"With Slobodan, we have him, and Thomas, and Jon Brown, and Tommy Akers, and that's a young pitching core where nobody's older than Thomas at 26," said a Des Moines scout. "I'm not saying we don't need Alaric Wullenweber. Everyone needs Alaric Wullenweber. But it might be nice if we could hit our weight, too, and $24 million of cap space might go a long way towards that."

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: The Cool Of The Grass 2051.2: Des Moines Ignores Offense, Signs Starting Pitcher

Post by ae37jr » Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 am

Everytime I start to feel good about my team, a Heartland team makes a move that pushes us back in the pecking order.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: The Cool Of The Grass 2051.2: Des Moines Ignores Offense, Signs Starting Pitcher

Post by CTBrewCrew » Fri May 27, 2022 9:34 pm

go back to Rockville ya bum! 😜

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Sat May 28, 2022 9:40 am

CTBrewCrew wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:34 pm
To back to Rockville ya bum! 😜
I support this message.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sun May 29, 2022 6:44 am

Aw. It's been a while since I've been run out on a rail.

It's hard to beat nostalgia though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Des Moines Kernels”