The Cool Of The Grass 2050.8: Des Moines Finishes Spring at 18-12

GM: Jessie Ramirez

Moderator: JRamirez

aaronweiner
BBA GM

The Cool Of The Grass 2050.8: Des Moines Finishes Spring at 18-12

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:54 pm

No, the games don't count. No, they weren't playing their first string. But Des Moines will take just about any signs of life. The Kernels finished up the spring at 18-12, a 96-win pace which is appropo of nothing, but may signal some progress in the Hawkeye State. The fact that they did this while Alaric Wullenweber pitched sparingly out of the bullpen is even more promising.

"We're pretty thrilled that we had such a good spring," said new Des Moines manager Ricardo Alomar. "This is a great bunch of guys and I'm really excited to be here."

All of Des Moines' personnel moves this offseason were to try to develop and work with their young pitching staff, and all their roster moves were to acquire defense and some star power. It appears to have paid off a bit. Jamie Barber's control looks better, Deron Alexander was unhittable in the spring, and while Pedro Guzman didn't homer in the spring, that's not something the team is worried about.

"We think our team is much better this year than last year," said Alexander. "I've never had this good a defense behind me and I'm really excited to go out there knowing I can throw strikes and someone's going to catch them."

Des Moines didn't make it out of the spring unscathed; veteran lefty Bill Keil will be laid up for most of the season, and starting catcher Andy Elmer probably won't be back until May. But there's some hope this year at least that hasn't been there in prior years.

"Everyone knows there's nothing easy about running a BBA franchise," said Kernels GM Aaron Weiner. "We just hope that our guys have what it takes to succeed this year. Go Kernels!"

https://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... am_18.html

Return to “Des Moines Kernels”