Kernels Team News 2037-02

GM: Josh Davidoff

Moderator: joshd19

Edward Murphy
Ex-GM

Kernels Team News 2037-02

Post by Edward Murphy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:30 am

As the club is packing up for spring training, Assistant GM, Devin Clark, sat down with Pat Hass and I was able to ask questions about the off season moves.

Hass: Let’s start with the big question, what were the team thoughts for moving Moreland?

Clark: You came with both guns blazing. William Moreland was a team leader in the club house on and off the field, and he also holds many team batting records. One reason the club was open in trading William as his contract, at the time of the trade, still had 5 years at 11.7 million dollars. GM Ed Murphy, has said in private he would have like to shorten the contract or given the club some type(s) of opt outs. Emotions were part of the actual contract extension and the club possibly extended themselves too much in the contract.

Hass: Are you saying Moreland’s contract did not match the club’s current direction?

Clark: Only time will tell. What I will say is that over the past 10 seasons the club has enter into bad contracts for unproductive players and that has set the club financially back. We felt the Moreland contract was a good for 2 – 3 seasons, but the potential of performance drop off was there and the club was scared that 2 unproductive seasons would make it impossible to move it off the books. We feel that receiving outfielder, Victor Guerra, will help keep our power numbers up, prospects pitcher, Antonio Coronado, is a top 100, and Alan Williamson is the club top infielder prospect.

Hass: What do you see doing in the free agent market this off season?

Clark: I will not confirm any talks that are going on, but this is what I will say, the Kernels are a small market team and are unable to compete with the super high income teams for tier one players like 1B Lucas McNeill, starting pitcher Lawrence Columbus LaLoosh, outfielder Chang-hyeok Chang, or second baseman Angel De Castillo. We just are unable to support contracts over 100 million dollars. This type of player needs to be home grown within our farm system.

The organization belief is changing, the club is currently looking for more tier 2 player(s) up in age with still a few years of productivity. The Kernels are willing to pay/or over pay the player a little more for a shorter contract, around 3 – 4 seasons at 45 – 60 million range.

Hass: Thanks very much for your time Devin Clark I would like to sit down and talk again when we get down to spring training.

Clark: I would enjoy speaking with you then.
Edward Murphy

Playing with a Purpose
awm53222@yahoo.com

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Kernels Team News 2037-02

Post by RonCo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:13 am

We need more interviews. Fun stuff. And the Kernels have, IMHO, done quite well in the FA market. I liked the Draper signing quite a bit.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Des Moines Kernels”