TN Kernels Revamp Coaching Staff 2034-07

GM: Josh Davidoff

Moderator: joshd19

Edward Murphy
Ex-GM

TN Kernels Revamp Coaching Staff 2034-07

Post by Edward Murphy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Over the past three seasons, I have felt frustrated on how the team was playing. Starting each of the past 3 seasons the Des Moines Kernels were playing .500 ball, but as the season moved on the team played sub .500 ball. Late in the 2033 season, when the Hawaii Tropics were state side, GM Mike Bieschke and I sat down over a pint and talked about our organizations. The first question Mike asked was, “what is your coaching staff relationships with the team?” I said, “I don’t know.” Mike said, “take a look at the relationships as that effects how the team plays over time.”

The next morning, I looked at each coach and saw disturbing things. Managers, coachs and bench coaches provided little positive influence to the player’s development and the relationship between the staff and players was more bad then good. Then I jumped into the deep end and started to revamp the coaching staff. At every level, I reviewed the staff to let go or fired the personnel that had little influence or had bad relationships with the players, trying to limit the negatives and having more positives.

Des Moines Kernels:
Hiring manager, Josh McConnell, who has an easy going personality and gives a higher influence on star players like catcher, Cisco Arreola (.283/.369/.529, 217 HR, 622 RBI), lower development influence on 6 players, good relationships with 10 players and had no bad relationships with any player. Bench coach, Liam Rayne, was controlling and had a below average development influence on players, with 5 players having a lower development influence. His relationship with the players was even worse with only good relationships with only 2 players and bad relationships with 8 players. I went out and hired Manuel Mariscal, having no positive or negative on players development influence but good relationships with 14 players and bad relationships with 7 players. Hitting coach, John Murphy, offers no specific focus and had no influence on player development. I found out that very few hitting coaches have positive influence on players. I fired John and settled on Sebastien Fournier with a focus on power hitters like Catcher, Cisco Arreola (.283/.369/.529, 217 HR, 622 RBI), and first baseman, William Moreland (.300/.373/.567, 255 HR, 677 RBI), giving the players a greater influence in development that matcher his style. Lyndon Copeman was given a 2 year extension as pitching coach, as his focus is on power pitchers and having a greater influence on 6 players on the team for the 2034 season.

I repeated this at every level in the organization some got promoted most were let go. I also tried to match up players with the coaches that give the player the greatest influence and best relationship. Hoping all this is results in a positive for the team.
Edward Murphy

Playing with a Purpose
awm53222@yahoo.com

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: TN Kernels Revamp Coaching Staff 2034-07

Post by RonCo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:10 am

I admit I have no real idea the level of impact that coaching has, but I have to figure it's a little at least...and if nothing else, it's fun to work with. Love the signings.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Des Moines Kernels”