The Kernel Journal - Vol. 4, No. 1 - It Is Time

GM: Jessie Ramirez

Moderator: JRamirez

lynchy34
Ex-GM

The Kernel Journal - Vol. 4, No. 1 - It Is Time

Post by lynchy34 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:17 am

Now two-plus seasons removed from a Frick League championship, the time may very well be now for the Des Moines Kernels.

After seeing the writing on the wall for an aging, veteran club that wasn't good enough to win the FL Midwest Division, Kernels GM Mike Lynch opted to rebuild on the fly by acquiring as much talent as possible - and did so with great success. The Kernels and their faithful fans endured a pair of last place finishes in the Frick Midwest, but the light at the end of the tunnel is coming quickly.

The Kernels already have some great young talent on the major league roster in the respective form of 2B Lloyd Levin, OF Roberto Santiago and OF Jean-Claude Marceau. Levin has quickly become an All-Star caliber second baseman, posting a .280 average with a .353 OBP, 21 HR, 86 RBI and a solid .782 OPS in his rookie campaign. He was acquired with Marceau and developing MR Sean Hoyes in exchange for stud MR Alex Kapranos and CF Jean-Paul Jean-Paul. While the Kernels could certainly use a center fielder of Jean-Paul's caliber right about now, Levin's debut and Marceau's (.285, 15 HR, 47 RBI, .797 OPS last season) development have Kernel fans very excited.

The soon-to-be 27-year-old Santiago was acquired from California early last season for a pair of relievers and quickly developed into a force against right-handed pitching. Solid defensively, Santiago hit .273 with a .343 OBP, 31 HR, 95 RBI and an .889 OPS in his debut campaign. Next season, he will pair with uber-talented prospect OF Niguel Halime to man the corner outfield spots and hold down the middle of the lineup. The 22-year-old Halime has rapidly developed into a future star over the last couple of seasons, developing from a 4/6/6 talent in contact/power/eye to his current nearly fully-developed 7/10/8. His transformation to a top 20 prospect in this league has been nothing short of amazing. Halime looks to be in the mix for Rookie of the Year talk next season.

The fiscally-sound Kernels will undoubtedly be active in the offseason this year. There's already trade talks abound, with Marceau heavily involved as the club looks to fill some holes. The team feels good about their rotation, but is searching for a #2 starter to slot between stud P Eddie Harris and the crafty duo of P Rene Arocha and youngster P Tom Mayes. They are also looking for longer-term options in center field, behind the plate and at third base and in the bullpen. While the Kernels may not exactly compete for the Frick Midwest title this season, Des Moines is certainly on its way back.
Frick League Champions - '95, '98, '00
Frick Midwest Champions - '98
General Manager of the Year - '98

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: The Kernel Journal - Vol. 4, No. 1 - It Is Time

Post by recte44 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:58 am

Exciting time for the Kernels. Glad to see Levin worked out, I was skeptical.

lynchy34
Ex-GM

Post by lynchy34 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:48 pm

recte44 wrote:Exciting time for the Kernels. Glad to see Levin worked out, I was skeptical.
I'm very excited about where things are headed. We've got the league's top farm and 10 top 100 prospects, in addition to the young developing stars like Levin and Santiago. If I can find a few arms, we'll be right back in the mix soon.

lchronister
Ex-GM

Post by lchronister » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Coming out of rebuilds in both leagues? Could be a nice next few months for you, Lynchy :)

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:38 am

I'm sorry, I never properly thanked you for the 1998 MBBA all-star CF Isaac Douglass...

Thank you, Lynchy!

(Damn Sox)

lynchy34
Ex-GM

Post by lynchy34 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:43 am

lchronister wrote:Coming out of rebuilds in both leagues? Could be a nice next few months for you, Lynchy :)
Yup ... my interest is piqued in both right about now!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Des Moines Kernels”