2058.6 Deadline Breakdown

GM: Josh Davidoff

Moderator: joshd19

joshd19
BBA GM

2058.6 Deadline Breakdown

Post by joshd19 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:10 pm

Dear readers,
It's Ingy again, back after a long hiatus that involved the murder of several Marshall Islanders who spread malicious anti-Iowan propaganda across the baseball world. When duty calls, Ingy answers.

Our beloved Kernels were several games under .500 by the deadline, and our new GM made several aggressive moves that left the fanbase wondering what the future of this team will be. Are we set up for a quick 1-2 year rebuild around our existing core, or is this heralding a longer term plan? Are we making moves sure to leave us worse off?

Let's start with the headline deal:
Des Moines Receives:

LF Stewart Illingworth
LF Amir Baha Al Din

Phoenix Receives:

3B Felix Parreno
This was a total blunder predicated on our idiot GM's undervaluing of free agent compensation. There was no reason to do this deal for so little return. Grade: F, and if Parreno doesn't end up opting out, F-/send this guy to the trenches.
Charlotte (@Krathan) receives:

ML SS Elvin Masuki (retained 50%)

Des Moines receives:

A RP Sharif Qutuz
S A C Masakado Matsunaga
R 1B Arturo Sandoval
I'm ok with this. We weren't going to extend Masuki for what he was asking, and this may be a better return than a 3rd-round draft pick (or no pick at all, more likely). We could still re-sign him.
Mexico City receives:

ML SP Ji-e Woo

Des Moines receives:

AA SP Ken Haworth
Good trade for both sides. Affordable bet for Mexico City that Ji-e will turn it around next year, though unfortunately he only hurt them in the playoff race. Even if Ji-e he doesn't bounce back, we have better pitching prospects who will need his rotation slot for the last phase of their development. Haworth is a gamble at 25, but if he does develop any more he could be a beast.
San Fernando receives:

ML OF/IF Sonny Bigalow

$3,000,000 in unmarked bills

Des Moines receives:

DFA OF Salih "Hammerhead" Bin Salah (I think he's DFAed if he was just traded?)
A SP Javier Duarte
SA SP Salah Lutfi
AAA SP Joe Hulton
This is the biggest gesture toward a longer-term plan to rebuild of these four moves. We didn't have to do this trade at all-- Bigalow is one of the most versatile utility players in the league, with plus skills in the OF and passable at 2B. I thought his extension was quite fair for his numbers. But the return has promise.

What does the league think of these moves? Trying to figure out how much of a lunkhead our GM is and how quickly he should be remitted to pipeline crawling duty.

Love,
Ingy
GM, Des Moines Kernels, 2058-
GM, London Monarchs, 2057 (Denny's & Marko Worldwide Champs)
Esteemed extreme ironing coach & practitioner, GEICO, 2046-2056

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: 2058.6 Deadline Breakdown

Post by ae37jr » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:53 pm

I like the moves as a whole. Des Moines was stuck in a spot where they were locked into a lot of long term deals that prevented them from getting better. So without even getting into returns. Offloading Perrano and Woo were probably moves that had to be made.

It's really hard to get rid of contracts that size in this league. So while maybe those two deals didn't net the haul you'd like. Trimming $25 million a year for the next 3 years is a big win.

I like the Bigelow deal. His value is as a starting CF. You already have Cano in CF. So he is a lot more valuable to someone else than you. He can barely hit .200 which negates his elite eye making him just a good, not great player. You got 4 building blocks that should all play some role in the future. bin Salah may even be as good as Bigelow if things break right in his development.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:56 pm

Parreno was a head scratcher, but the others made sense.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:27 pm

Dington wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:56 pm
How many teams would take that contract though? If Des Moines retains money, than I can see a bigger haul. But I don't see a lot of teams getting in a bidding war for him.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:49 pm

ae37jr wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:27 pm
Dington wrote:
How many teams would take that contract though? If Des Moines retains money, than I can see a bigger haul. But I don't see a lot of teams getting in a bidding war for him.
He’s gonna opt out and net draft pick compensation so he had value. So I agree it was the weakest trade but as you’ve pointed out it had value beyond what came back in the trade return.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:50 pm

Alan hit the nail on the head that Bigalow had way more value to me than you because you already have a CF. In a strict aggregating WAR/$ sense you fleeced me.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:43 pm

ae37jr wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:27 pm
Dington wrote:
Hmmmm. Didn't realize how backloaded it was. Curious to see if he opts out of that.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Des Moines Kernels”