The Cool Of The Grass 2050.23: The Universe Speaks

GM: Josh Davidoff

Moderator: joshd19

aaronweiner
BBA GM

The Cool Of The Grass 2050.23: The Universe Speaks

Post by aaronweiner » Fri May 06, 2022 9:58 am

Des Moines was in first place this year. We have the historical record to prove it. 15-10, first place, 96 win pace, all the fixin's. But sometimes the universe speaks. Sometimes everything just comes together into alignment to remind you of what we are meant to do. So Des Moines, with a season less than 90 losses in reach, lost ten games in a row to fall to a 65-92 record, leading to their final standing of 68-94 after winning three of five against Chicago to close out the season.

"Am I aloud to say on the record that we suck? OK, we suck," said former starting pitcher Manuel Camacho, whose season has nosedived and never really got started. "We suck. Let's just keep saying it."

There have been a few saving graces from the year. Hasheem Makin continues to prove why he is considered the ultimate Moneyball player. Pedro Guzman has posted a rock-solid 3 WAR season, which is why the team signed him. Rookie Jon Brown has been quite good since being called up. Alaric, who still had the worst season of his career, did well in Des Moines. Felix Parreno rebounded from a horrible start to look respectable. But overall the team has, in most ways, crashed and burned.

"Our primary goal this offseason is building an offense we can be prouder of," said Des Moines GM Aaron Weiner. "We thought our pitching was very respectable all year long, but our hitting has been a problem all year and we think we can do better."

Des Moines has a few gaping holes they will likely try to fill this offseason, most notably shortstop and center field. The two positions combined for a -5 WAR this season, meaning that playing replacement players might have improved the team by five games. The team is also unlikely to re-sign standout performer Lucio Cuellar, who turns 33 next year and is insisting upon a four-year deal, so they will also have to find a third baseman - which could still be Cuellar. Thus far it also appears that Dave Gracia is not the answer in right field, though the team has multiple prospect options in the pipeline at that position so they may not have to shop for one. And catcher Sloth Fratelli hasn't quite made it yet.

"There's a lot of good things happening on this team right now, but we still have a long way to go," said Weiner. "Good news is that we have some time to figure out some things."

The team is expected to have some flexibility next year in figuring out their next steps. Closer Francisco Salgado is expected by most people to opt out of his very affordable $5 million deal, and the team is reportedly unlikely to re-sign consistent reliever Daniel Camacho at the $4 million he is asking for in arbitration. Quite a few players on the 40-man roster have also been released or non-tendered. All the moves should create something in the neighborhood of $25 million in cap space for the Kernels, who may not be able to fill every gap they have for that amount.

"We'll do our best," Weiner said. "There's more damage here than I previously thought when I took over the team."

Still, there should be some cause for optimism. If not for the ten-game losing streak the Kernels might have finished with 73 wins. Des Moines will finish 2050 with a record thirteen games better than last year and ten games better than their average record for the previous six seasons. There's still plenty of optimism going into 2051.

"We project the team should be ready to contend by 2052," said Weiner. "We're going to improve some of our problem areas this season, and maybe we can get a wild card, but by 2052 a lot of the mistakes of the old regime will be over and we might finally be able to do some things that will make a big difference. Don't look now, but we're poppin'."

https://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... am_18.html

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: The Cool Of The Grass 2050.23: The Universe Speaks

Post by Dington » Fri May 06, 2022 10:30 am

No need to rush. Take another decade or two off, please.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Fri May 06, 2022 10:47 am

I may have a sign-and-trade option for you at 3B. 😄 I look forward to seeing you build your squad. You certainly left me with a good team here in Rockville.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun May 08, 2022 9:21 am

Dington wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:30 am
No need to rush. Take another decade or two off, please.
...or 3. its Okay no rush ;)

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sun May 08, 2022 9:31 am

JimSlade wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:47 am
I may have a sign-and-trade option for you at 3B. 😄 I look forward to seeing you build your squad. You certainly left me with a good team here in Rockville.
When you're called to Iowa, you go to Iowa.

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Sun May 08, 2022 10:40 am

aaronweiner wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:58 am
after winning three of five against Chicago to close out the season.
I tried to help, I really did.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Post by Joshua Biddle » Sun May 08, 2022 1:50 pm

Things are looking up for Des Moines

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Post by lordtoffee » Mon May 09, 2022 9:15 pm

It's hard to argue with that level of improvement.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Des Moines Kernels”