He Who Walks Behind the Rows - The Offseason Part 2

GM: Josh Davidoff

Moderator: joshd19

FuzzyRawley
Ex-GM

He Who Walks Behind the Rows - The Offseason Part 2

Post by FuzzyRawley » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:45 am

Corn.jpg
Whoa nelly, stop the presses, idle the combines, pause the script. Des Moines has done it again! GM Geoff Webb has shocked the BBA by making two major signings. And by shocked, I mean, nobody noticed and by major, I actually mean the Polish version of major, which I am told, actually means minor.

To begin, the Popcornmen tried once again to plug the hole at shortstop with the signing 27-year old Mexican Guillermo Fuentes.. Nothing to see here with Fuentes except his glove. He had decent years in Baghdad with UMEBA, always posting a positive WAR, but not much is expected from him at the plate, just a faint hope that he'll increase the amount of walks that Des Moines players took last year. The 4-year $20 million contract includes a team option, so it was a low risk signing by Webb, but given the lack of funds and the lack of desire for other SS to sign in Iowa, it was one of the only moves available.
guillermo_fuentes_2049_guillermo_fuentes.png

Next up, the front office swooped in and picked up another 27-year old, this time in the form of Dominican Reliever Francisco Salgado. Despite having the stamina to start games, Salgado will be a strictly high-leverage pen arm targeting lefties. His Cutter/Slider combo is approaching elite level and he'll surely help Des Moines steal some late inning games, should the offense do anything. The Kernels picked him up for 3 years at $16.1 million with a player option at the end. This being Des Moines means that Salgado will likely have a great first season and then tank the second once he accepts his reality on cellar club. At which point, he'll still opt in for season three, even though he's miserable and resolve to pitch every game royally hung over.

francisco_salgado_2049_francisco_salgado.png

Who knows how both these players contribute next season but its clear Des Moines is avoiding big contracts until the latest crop of home grown talent shows that it can start winning. If that happens, maybe fans will show up more and bank account will start to have black numbers in it.
:cool: They say it don't be like it is, but it do!

7teen
BBA GM

Re: He Who Walks Behind the Rows - The Offseason Part 2

Post by 7teen » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:47 am

Nice pick up in Salgado. Fuentes, I'm not so sure about. His bat is not good and I'm not so sure about his arm at SS. Of course, SS is a hard spot to fill right now.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50