On the Lam, 55.4 - Ready to Blast

GM: Tim Meseck

Moderator: trmmilwwi

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

On the Lam, 55.4 - Ready to Blast

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:51 am

As the 2055 BBA season continues onwards, we find the calendar on the phone stating that it is now September. The time of year that first place teams are preparing for the stretch drive, wild card teams are trying to hold on with all they have, chasing teams are gearing up for that last push for the playoffs and the rest of the teams are planning their offseason. The Outlaws are just trying to win as many games as they can and learn more about the team and the pieces and parts they have in place for next season. To that end the biggest news surrounding the trade deadline and September roster increases was what would happen with veteran Catcher Charles Johnson and his pending replacement , minor leaguer Bradford “Blast” McBearett.

It has been no secret that Johnson was on the trade block this season and was actively being advertised for most of the season. The 15-year veteran is quietly having one of the better seasons of his career at the age of 34 and Outlaw management fully expected him to hit the threshold for free agent compensation as he started having a really good season. Thus, they had a decision to make, trade him for value or hold onto him for the supplemental draft pick compensation if he met the threshold. After several inquiries and even a few trade deal structures it was determined that the 2nd rd supplemental trade value was not quite there and that they would hold onto the vet for the remainder of the 2055 season. It is assumed by everyone that the $50m/4 year deal that Johnson was seeking will not happen as an extension with San Antonio and that he will become available via free agency. San Antonio will try to get him as many starts as possible to increase his WAR and maximize the compensation value.

Blast McBearett is Johnson’s eventual full time replacement and has been working his way up through the Outlaw’s minor leagues and was slashing .304/7/51 with above average defense (+4.1, 1.108) in his full season at AAA Austin. With the expansion to 40 players the Outlaws brought Blast up to the big-league team and flew him from Austin to San Antonio on the company plane to be with the big league team. Fans were wondering when the 24-year-old would see his first taste of big-league play and their questions were answered when the catcher was inserted into the starting lineup September 4th against Montreal. Manager Mika'il bin Samman decided to pencil him in at the 7th spot in the batting order and started him in left field of all places. Blast didn’t care one bit and stated after the game that he was happy regardless.

“You guys care about that stuff. I’ll play anywhere they put me to get a chance against the best. Obviously I am most comfortable behind the plate but I guess they didn’t want me to sit on the bench too long. CJ is the guy and has been in the league for more than a decade. He’s earned the starts. I’m just here to learn from him and Hayesy (backup catcher Trevor Hayes). These guys are pros and know what they are doing. I’m just happy to have had a chance in front of the home fans here in the Tap Room.”

McBearett went 1-3 in his first game as an Outlaw and the team expects him to get a few more starts from behind the plate over the next few weeks. League scouts are watching what occurred in Vegas regarding Prieto and Campbell as an example of how transactions could unfold. Outlaw team management took a slightly different path and it will be interesting to see how things unfold for the next decade of catchers in the Outlaw uniform.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: On the Lam, 55.4 - Ready to Blast

Post by BaseClogger » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:25 pm

Pretty good catching situation you have. Commish had a good veteran catcher he had to release earlier in the season so I wasn't surprised you had to settle for the comp. Hopefully he signs before spring training so you get it.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “San Antonio Outlaws”